Lee Anne's Reviews > It's Okay to Be the Boss: The Step-by-Step Guide to Becoming the Manager Your Employees Need

It's Okay to Be the Boss by Bruce Tulgan

Sep 16, 08

bookshelves: never-mind-sold-it, borrowed-not-bought
Read in September, 2008

Well, it would be "never mind, sold it" if it wasn't a book loan book.

Not really what I was expecting from the dust jacket. I thought it was going to address the problem of being so much of a friend that you're afraid to be a manager/Gen. X as upper-management thing, but instead, the philosophy here seems to be "Crawl up your employees butts. Once you're there, document everything they say and do, and everything you say to them. Then they'll be better employees." Also, there was too much telling what to do, not enough explaining how to do said things. For example, at one point he says, "Speak like a performance coach and people will listen to you." (I'm paraphrasing). But he doesn't really say how exactly a performance coach speaks, in his mind. Useless.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Okay to Be the Boss.

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve uh-oh!

message 2: by Kona (new)

Kona Personally I think you are a great manager and already know how to crawl up people's butts! :)

Roger Wetlaufer I think you have missed the point of the book. I would suggest you re-read with an open mind.

Lee Anne Thanks for your input. I did read it with an open mind. I'm sorry our opinions diverged, but MYOB.