Katie's Reviews > Garden of Madness

Garden of Madness by Tracy L. Higley

Jun 10, 12

bookshelves: biblical-fiction
Read from April 26 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

First posted on my blog, Legacy of a Writer.

Once again Tracy Higley has swept me into a tale of a nearly forgotten time where being a princess wasn’t as care-free as one would think. Filled with palace intrigue and an unsolved murder, Garden of Madness kept my attention riveted to the pages. Be prepared to find yourself instantly charmed by the spirited Tiamat—she is a one-of-a-kind woman!

Something that instantly sets Tiamat apart as a heroine, in my opinion, was her athletic hobbies. At first glance you would think a Babylonian princess would be refined, dignified, and one who spent her days in leisure. But from the very first chapter we see Tiamat running like the wind, and then later leaping over objects and even a bit of boxing. I loved this spirited and active side that made this princess so full of life, vibrant, and unique.

Her progression—from naivety and selfishness to a princess ready to give her all for her family and kingdom—was beautiful to watch. And so well written! I wasn’t as happy with Pedaiah’s change from proud arrogance to humility, but I was glad to see him see the error of his ways.

Garden of Madness also deals with the dark spirits the mage often communed with. There were a few creepy scenes where a Mage was performing a ritual to send dark spirits and troubling thoughts to a person. My favorite scene, though, was when Pedaiah prays over Tiamat, driving the dark spirits from her. Loved the connection between the characters and the power of Jesus.

From the outside, often we might think life in a palace as a princess would be amazing. But Higley gives the readers an up-close-and-personal look at how stressful life can really be within the palace walls. How complicated! As Garden of Madness progresses and conspiracies arise, one would almost think the palace walls themselves have ears and eyes! I enjoyed this book completely and look forward to more from Higley in the near future!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garden of Madness.

04/26/2012 page 31
8.0% "Ahhhhhh....I just love Higley's writing.... :-)"