Jane's Reviews > The Only Gold

The Only Gold by Tamara  Allen

1901583
Apr 19, 2012

bookshelves: m-m

I found it charming and well-written but the end segment was dragged out way too long. I skimmed chunks of it. If that'd been cut down and tightened the story would have felt more balanced.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Only Gold.

message 1: by Zac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zac Hi Jane,
Tamara Allen is one of my favorite authors, and while this one was good in its writing (but, like you said, a bit too drawn out), I don't think it's one of her best works. Have you tried reading her Whistling in the Dark or Downtime? Those two are much better, Whistling being my favorite of the two.

Jane I haven't yet; this was my first by her. Definitely enjoyed it, though historicals aren't my favorite genre. I'll give the others a try; thank you!

message 3: by Zac (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zac Jane wrote: "I haven't yet; this was my first by her. Definitely enjoyed it, though historicals aren't my favorite genre. I'll give the others a try; thank you!"

Historicals aren't my favorite either-- it feels like there's a very thin line between writing it so that it flows nicely and stays interesting while being true to history (if it's written in this world), or giving the right amount of information (not too little to be vague, not too much to be clunky) to help bring the world to life. I think a lot of authors suffer from studying the historical era far too much for research,then wanting to use all their knowledge in the books that they write, so it ends up sounding more like a history book rather than an actual novel. Moderation is key, I think.

Something I really like about Ms. ALlen is that everything in her books are essential to the plot of the story; you can't take out one scene without having the entire book fall apart. She gives you just enough information to help you immerse yourself in this new world, but not so much of it that it makes you want to gag either. When I was reading Whistling in the Dark, I felt a sense of nostalgia being back in that era that I've seen so much in old novels and black-and-white films.

Ah, sorry... I went off on a little rant there, didn't I? Nonetheless, I highly recommend you Whistling-- Jack and Sutton both are extremely likeable characters.

Another historical romance that I've read recently was On the Trail to Moonlight Gulch; this one, again, was really good too. My only qualm about is that the ending is sort of fairly tale-esque where everybody lives happily ever after, but it's still an extremely good book with lots of good angst and romance thrown in the 1880s.

Cheers!

Jane David wrote: "Jane wrote: "I haven't yet; this was my first by her. Definitely enjoyed it, though historicals aren't my favorite genre. I'll give the others a try; thank you!"

Historicals aren't my favorite eit..."

I shouldn't say I don't like them as much given my last book was a kind of historical :-) Spoken from the Heart is set in my own made-up fantasy world that bears a passing resemblance to Elizabethan England in feel, if nothing else. I agree, it's a tricky balance between info-dumping and world-building.