Beaulah Pragg's Reviews > May

May by Kathryn Lasky

Apr 19, 2012

liked it
Read in July, 2011

'May' is the second book in Daughters of the Sea, a series about mermaid sisters who all washed up on different parts of the American coast and were raised to think they were human - until their yearning for the ocean causes them to discover the truth.

Having not read the first book, I was taking 'May' entirely on its own merits, of which it has many. I enjoyed the central character's voice. She was young but had a certain determination and hardness that came from being the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter. I felt sorry for her because of the way she was treated by her 'mother' who was eternally sick and bullied May horribly. I also enjoyed the potential of the romantic plot between May and Hugh, with the dastardly Rudd in the background.

Unfortunately, the danger was never that dangerous and the connection between May and Hugh didn't have a chance to shine. I suspect this is because the character, Hannah, from the first book had to be introduced at some point and then the story shifted to more of a focus on her presence and her significance to May.

Because this book is part of a series, it also didn't have much in the way of a satisfying ending. Having said that, I would be interested to see where the story goes and whether the sisters are able to finally reunite.

I imagine this set, much like the Owls of Ga'hoole, is aimed squarely at children. I would buy Daughters of the Sea for girls around eight to twelve.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read May.