Amy's Reviews > Eternal Captive

Apr 20, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: vampire, romance
Read from April 19 to 20, 2012

I'll start this review by saying I've not read the previous novels in the series and I took this novel as a stand alone by my mistake.

This being a romance novel, the steamy bits and tension building between our main characters felt satisfying and well paced, though it will leave your inner feminist crying in a dark corner.

Lucian's character can't decide if he's an Irish gentleman or a crass college bro. He's extremely dominating and possessive of Bronwyn and there is a point that it is in a rape-ish way.

Bronwyn was not intelligent enough, especially considering the line of work she carries and she was not a strong leading lady, and while she tries to act independent and strong, her character also flip flops because she constantly needs protection, from the strong males around her.

When it comes to the plot there are really 3 story lines followed. Lucian & Bronwyn, Synjon, and Dillon.

Most of the novel is spent with Lucian and Bronwyn and exploring their feelings and loins and "relationship building" with them. (view spoiler)

Synjon's whole subplot was fitting since he played a major roll in the first few chapters and it kind of tied up the whole "he's looking for Bronwyn so whatever happened with him, but everything towards the end left me crying out "oh come on really?!" (view spoiler)

Dillon's whole plot really just felt tacked on and could only be one chapters worth of pages when all mashed together (the book tends to blip around). Dillon's part of the story also was just to pave the way in the epilogue for the next book, as well as fill a HUGE plot hole at the end of how the villain's secret layer got found by Alexander and Nicholas (How they got in through the magic wards still a mystery). How Dillon even knew where the villain was is also unexplained (perhaps a previous book).

In short very a predictable "everything works out for everyone in the end" fun read that left me feeling very disappointed in my purchase.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eternal Captive.

04/19/2012 page 270
75.0% "took a small break, but I'm eager to finish this novel."
04/20/2012 page 318
89.0% "I want to finish this book, but I'm finding it hard. Almost there though, but I must eat and do other things."
show 3 hidden updates…