Beaulah Pragg's Reviews > Dare You

Dare You by Sue Lawson

Apr 19, 12

Read in December, 2010

The story of three Aussie teenagers who are all dealing with huge problems at home and keeping them secret from the others... leading ultimately to disaster. Sue Lawson has certainly captured the emotionality and irrationality of the mid teens and her characters, while not lovable, are fascinating and I certainly found myself needing to know what happened. From the very beginning, however, I had an awful sense of foreboding - this was not going to end well.

Sure enough, there are consequences to all this 'daring' and secret-keeping, and while there are important lessons to be learned and the subject matter is worthy of further thought, I was incredibly disturbed by this book and found myself thinking about it repeatedly over the following days.

It's the abrupt ending, more than anything else - it leaves you wondering what the point of it all was. Sure, life throws you curve balls like that, but I like to escape such things by reading books...
Still, Dare You is well written and may be a good morality tale for teens about the dangers of going off the rails. Just not for the faint of heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dare You.