Angela's Reviews > Requiem

Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Mar 27, 13

bookshelves: 2-stars, apocalyptic-or-dystopian, arc, dreaded-love-triangle, e-galley, read-in-2013, young-adult, edelweiss-or-netgalley
Read from February 24 to March 24, 2013

After being disappointed by Delirium but then loving the sequel, Pandemonium, I had high hopes for Oliver’s Requiem, the final book in the trilogy. Unfortunately, the pace dragged throughout, and I found myself not connecting to Lena’s character or those around her. Entirely too convenient plot twists in the final quarter of the book made it hard to suspend disbelief, and readers are then left with few answered questions other than an unbelievably easy resolution to the love triangle. Only recommended to those who love the series and want to see how things turn out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Requiem.

02/24/2013
8.0% 4 comments
02/27/2013
22.0% "At first, I didn't like the dueling narrative perspectives from Hana and Lena, but it's growing on me steadily."
02/27/2013
22.0% "However, not much has happened so far. The writing is still lovely, bu there appears to be little forward action. :(" 2 comments
03/04/2013
54.0% "Things are finally starting to happen, but I am having trouble finding myself caring about the characters. Characterization seems weak and inconsistent compared to the last book, too. :(" 5 comments
03/05/2013
64.0% " And now the competing love interests are physically fighting one another to deal with their unnamed aggression toward each other. I could have so done WITHOUT that."
03/09/2013
70.0% "I'm stuck at 70% with no real motivation to move forward. The plot feels stagnant and all of the early negative reviews have let me know there's not much to look forward to in the end. Color me terribly disappointed. :("
03/22/2013
74.0% "Just coming back to this after reading two books in between...and my interest is still not there. Boo. :("
show 4 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling I keep seeing very disappointed reactions to this one, which is a shame. I still haven't read Panda yet.

Angela So far, it's just so bland and nothing has happened that makes me care anything about the characters or the eventual outcomes.

Delirium was a 2-star read for me, but then Pandemonium blew me away because of the vast improvement in voice and character development that I wasn't expecting (leading me to rate it as a 4-star read). Now this third book just seems to reverse that trend; I'm so disappointed.

Sandy What in the world was that ending(if one could even call it that)???? There were still several pages left in my book because there's a short story about Alex in the back, and I kept looking for where the rest of Requiem went.

message 4: by Angela (last edited Mar 27, 2013 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angela Sandy wrote: "What in the world was that ending(if one could even call it that)???? There were still several pages left in my book because there's a short story about Alex in the back, and I kept looking for whe..."

I KNOW! I wasn't completely bothered by how things were wrapped up plot-wise (view spoiler), but it felt very abrupt and I didn't like how the last two pages were the author or Lena's character breaking the fourth wall and speaking directly to the audience. It just felt so...fake and message-y? I was reading the eARC, so I'm not sure if it matched what you read, though.

Also, this: (view spoiler)