Beaulah Pragg's Reviews > Into the Gauntlet

Into the Gauntlet by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Apr 19, 12

Read in September, 2010

A stunning finale to what has to be one of my favourite children's series. I am proud to say that I have introduced it to my entire family and they are now competing over who has which book first.

The basic story follows two children who must compete against distant relatives for a mysterious 'grand prize' by collecting all 39 clues. In this final instalment, they race to stop the head of the Lucian branch from winning and gaining the power to pretty much destroy the world. It is an exciting journey, fuelled by what they have learned over the previous nine instalments and full of fun surprises.

It is the simplicity of the overall plot which I appreciate. The message is that all the different branches have to forgive each other and work together, and while that might sound cheesy on the surface, it is all pulled off with such genuine sincerity that you can't help but agree. I appreciate the challenge it must have been, for all these different writers to collaborate on a project of this size, especially with such tight deadlines, but it certainly worked and I can't wait to see the movie version (if they ever make one).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Gauntlet.