Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > Winging It!

Winging It! by Shel Delisle

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: librarything-wins
Read from April 19 to 21, 2012

I won this book from librarything member giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

Winging It is a book about an angel-in-training, ironically named Grace as she is very clumsy, who hates school and decides the best way to get around this is to go straight to a Mission on earth as a Guardian Angel. Full of bravado, she thinks this is the fastest way to get her wings and also skip a few steps along the way. She learns that her Mission is not as easy as it seems but makes good friends who help her on her path.

There are great things about this book. I felt that all the details about Heaven and the training program were well done. I also thought the side characters of Michael, the overbearing Top Angel, and Aisha, a spunky Guardian angel were terrific-- they stole almost every scene they were in. I eventually warmed to Grace a little after half of the book. At first, I wasn't sure about the way the "Confessions" were written, but they really worked by the end.

My fear is that people will be turned off to Grace and not make it to the point where I feel like the book really takes off. I am not sure I myself would have continued except that I am a reviewer and try extra hard to stick with books to give them a fair shake. Grace is difficult to like-- she's like every bad cliche that you can imagine about a teenager-- she's overconfident and thinks she knows everything, that this journey/mission will be a piece of cake, and that she will get what she wants without working at it. I believe she was told multiple times, maybe even 5-6 times to study, but she refused. It's hard to like someone who has easy ways to make things better but blatantly refuses because it's something that she doesn't like to do. Another thing I noticed is that one of her strengths is supposed to be that she can adapt quickly to new situations; however, there are countless times in the book where she asks questions about pop culture that would be obvious to any human, and yet, she doesn't learn from these experiences-- like maybe she should watch what she asks as to not raise suspicions?

This said, I really warmed up to the book and would read the sequel to this book to see the new and improved Grace grow and evolve.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winging It!.

04/19/2012
04/20/2012
20.0% "I don't think this is my kind of book. Not necessarily the author's fault, but this much "cheeriness" makes me nauseated."
show 1 hidden update…