Paquita Maria Sanchez's Reviews > The Farce of Sodom: The Quintessence of Debauchery

The Farce of Sodom by John Wilmot

Nov 19, 14

bookshelves: literature, plays-n-pomes

This review has dirty words in it.

I finally did it. I was nervous about reading Wilmot's racy play, since his collected works of poetry about romance, spirituality, political corruption, hatred, envy, death, and every other shade of existence in general kind of made him my bedraggled, secret hero. I mean, let's be honest: you find yourself thinking awful thoughts sometimes....umm, right? Shallow, animal, self-serving, petty, ugly things happen in all of our brains, and even the surface of these thoughts is something few of us care to admit. I only know one person I can be candid with about some of the ickiest parts of my brain, and even in the telling, I am learning of them myself. So much denial and suppression going on up in here. John Wilmot, though? Please. That man practically stood drunk and naked with a cock-eyed peruke on his head and raspberry juice smeared all over his chest, proudly atop a mountain overlooking a village of supposedly Puritanical sorts and gave them all what-for, projectile-vomiting his uglies on all of their heads as glittery confetti clouds of poetry. A trainwreck of a human being, sure, but more genuine than 99% of the people I interact with on any given day. He was like...the Garden of Eden of keeping it real.

So, I heard he had written one of the most scandalous, vulgar plays of all time, nothing but Sex! Sex! Dirty Sex! and I was afraid it would deflate me a bit, no pun intended. Erotica is not my thing. So I waited and waited, then finally sat down with it today after cancelling all 14 of the dates I had been asked out on by incredibly attractive, intelligent, book-smart, clever men who want to marry me and take me to see Courtney Love Presents: The Nirvana Hologram Show. It's important to make the occasional sacrifice.

Anyway, the play is a snappy read, mostly because it's in prose-poem form with a super-short page count. Also, it reads really quickly because a) Wilmot is a master of crack candy prose construction and b) it's...funny. Funny to me in the same way that my old roommate and I would get drunk and laugh up tears watching Alien Sex Files 3 on Skinemax. However, there are some other things going on here besides hella swiving. Okay, you probably first of all want some sort of plot: the King passes an edict legalizing, and practically enforcing, buggery. The men go crazy and just do each other all the time, resulting in the women starting to suffer the pains of loss of the pains of love-makin', and resorting to bestiality and sex toy addiction. I know, I know, an even surface-level Intelligent, Discerning Reader would be given pause by this outline, because it sounds like he's making a statement against homosexuality. In a word, no. I'd bet the 30 dollars in my bank account that Wilmot had his day with the menfolk. Wilmot's point, or so I've read, was to criticize Charles the 2nd for his legal embrace of Catholicism to the point of being personally motivated politicking. The King in this story just...prefers arses. He wants everyone to prefer arses. His sex life with his wife is horribly stale and Mormon first date-y, and he's so very pissed about this fact....so much so that he hates ladybits, and the ladies who own those bits.

No, by my head, and by this honoured scar.
But toils of cunt are more than toils of war.

The day of marriage you may justly rue
Since he will neither swive nor suffer you.

War, man. The edict essentially turns society into that drooling sex-fiend braindead orgy mass at the end of that awful Perfume movie (which was based, or so I hear, on an actually good book. Shameful as always, wouldn't you agree Brief Interviews with Hideous Men?). I won't reveal where Wilmot goes from here, since this is insanely short, and I don't want to spoil what goods there are to be had. Most of the time, you just laugh into your palm uncomfortably, admire Wilmot's ability to be brazenly awkward and forthright, and commend him for his moxy at a time when writing something like this could get you publicly flogged. Larry Flynt and John Wilmot would've been the best of friends, and would've thrown the craziest parties. I want to be the photographer at that event, please.

It didn't let me down, but it wasn't as good as my other experience with Wilmot. The whole thing was very amusing, however. Read his poetry first so you can appreciate the subtle awesomeness of what he's trying to do here. There are no puns in this paragraph, either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Farce of Sodom.

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen God, this sounds awesome.

Paquita Maria Sanchez You, my friend, would laugh your fucking ass off. Also, I have my shovel within arms reach in preparation for backlash, and must say I'm glad the Trollslayer herself has commented, and will be getting updates in the event that some Quaker doesn't like my quoting of the word 'cunt' and decides to say something about it.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Quakers are usually antiwar and stuff, that one was defective, plus if she cared about the use of the word cunt she probably would have objected when I called her one, which she did not. So I believe you're in the clear.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Honestly, that woman was so dense, I think she may still believe you were on her side on the matter.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Wait I thought I was too.

Paquita Maria Sanchez The walls started shakin' and the earth was Quakin'.

message 7: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! I've read Perfume and seen the movie! I'd agree the book was better, but I like pretty colors of the moving pitcher, too.

message 8: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Oh wow. This is sounds like an intense read. Damn fine review. Fascinating book choice. I think of the complete depravity of the Marquis De Sade's drawings. I know he was trying to inflame with his work; to speak about perceived corruption. But I wonder how depraved the men and times truly were. Animals?! That's a big step... :)

Paquita Maria Sanchez Eh?Eh! wrote: "I've read Perfume and seen the movie! I'd agree the book was better, but I like pretty colors of the moving pitcher, too."

Oh, it was definitely pretty. Keep in mind: I watched it only once, several years ago, with a tequila hangover. I think I ended up puking from that hangover it was so bad, and booze almost never makes me hurl. Additional info.

Thanks, Brittany! As I said, I read this because I adore the author. I kind of make it sound really low-rent with this review, because it is insanely vulgar. However, the vulgarity is super spoof-ified. Plot summary: he fixes the cable.

message 10: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. Paquita Maria wrote: "Eh?Eh! wrote: "I've read Perfume and seen the movie! I'd agree the book was better, but I like pretty colors of the moving pitcher, too."

Oh, it was definitely pretty. Keep in mind: I watched it ..."

Not low-rent. I was thinking I wanted to check it out. Extreme political and social humor of the times is fascinating. I'd never heard of him before. I am going to do the intelligent thing and check him out on wiki notes.... :)

Paquita Maria Sanchez Encouraging people to read Wilmot is one of my new-ish things. Again, I would definitely push the poetry over this play, though. There's all the naughty and humor, and so much more.

message 12: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. I definitely will check out the poetry first. I don't love to read older plays, unless I have backstory. Thanks.

message 13: by knig (last edited Apr 20, 2012 01:02AM) (new)

knig Aah, good old Rochester (you threw me at first when you kept calling him Wilmont: I didn't know who wilmont was. convention here has it nobility are referred to by title, hence Rochester.) He is a gem: but then, I'm biased: how can I not be after his most lavish praise in Sodom:

'I'th'isle of Britain, long since famous grown
For breeding the best cunts in Christendom'

message 14: by Paquita Maria (last edited Apr 20, 2012 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez Oh, cultural differences! Starting to refer to him strictly as Rochester could be an interesting habit experiment for me. I suppose we've never had nobility in the U.S....the only frequent occurrences of higher-ups title reference I can think of would be things like 'Mr. President' (but even that is only in direct address, and he is also otherwise referred to predominantly by last name), 'Officer' (you definitely want to do that, even if his or her name on his or her shirtfront, or you'll live to regret it), 'Your Honor' to a judge (same reason as with the Johnny, errr, 'Officer'), and 'Professor' (then again, my head professor's name was Andy, and that's what we called him. There are plenty of exceptions to this rule). Famous people, last or full name, unless they are Madonna, Prince, Dubya (the exception to the president rule), etc. Guess I never really thought it out before, but there it is.

message 15: by Paquita Maria (last edited Apr 20, 2012 07:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez Really though, I should say Dubya is an, not the exception to the president rule. Kennedy is predominantly referred to as J.F.K., for example. I could maybe think of others...

message 16: by Miriam (new)

Miriam The British titles are only confusing to me when you get multiple famous people from the same family. Like, when I hear Rochester this is not the first one that springs to mind.

Paquita Maria Sanchez I will think of him from now on, at least. Way too colorful a character to not. I'll probably still call him John Wilmot, though. I really hope that doesn't make me an uncultured honky.

message 18: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I think it makes you respectful; if you call him John Rochester than he shares his name with a saint, which just seems wrong.

message 19: by knig (new)

knig Teehee, the Rochester that sticks out in my mind is Jane's, although I like Wilmont better. Just to muddy the waters a bit more, he can never be 'John Rochester', as he is John Wilmont. He can only be Rochester (like PMS's example Madonna). (I can't believe I just wrote PMS, I take it back)

Paquita Maria Sanchez A saint! That's...awesome.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Knig-o-lass wrote: "(I can't believe I just wrote PMS, I take it back)"

Oh, no no no. I go by PMS all the time. It has been embraced, m'dear!

message 22: by Traveller (new)

Traveller "...after cancelling all 14 of the dates I had been asked out on by incredibly attractive, intelligent, book-smart, clever men who want to marry me and take me to see Courtney Love Presents: The Nirvana Hologram Show. It's important to make the occasional sacrifice."
LOL
Well, we feel extremely honored in being able to read this review then, since that must have cost you a few dates as well. XD

PS. I gave up my dinner date with Mr President when I saw PM had a new review out. Time better spent. Ha.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Yeah, instead of 'Sorry, I'm washing my hair tonight', I say 'Sorry, I'll be review reading and writing all night'...that's how it goes, yep. Every single time.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie Are you all truck drivers?

Paquita Maria Sanchez I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything, but your constant attention is starting to get a little creepy, Julie! It's important in a new relationship to give space to the person, or they will start to tire of you too quickly almost every time, be they new best friend or new personal hero (which I truly do appreciate, Julie. Truly I do!). I mean, I've got all my truckdriving occupying my time, so I just can't on a purely practical level go for a high-maintenance friendship right now. Now that we've gotten the uncomfortable part out of the way, what's Quakin', Julie? Please keep your response light, though...I'm too stern and manly for any 'emotional' type of conversations.

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I'm a long distance truck driver. Thanks for asking. My friend here is what we in my business call a 'lot lizard'.

You keep your whore mouth away from my Julie, you heard me Paquita!

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie I am so proud to see that you could make it through a post without profanity! Keep up the good work! Stern and manly? Really? I am Quakin'!

Paquita Maria Sanchez I just love that avatar so much...almost as much as the movie Avatar itself.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Fuck yeah, Julie! Thanks for the encouragement!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Also, I just want to say that your last post has made you, without a doubt, my absolute favorite troll of all time. Thank you, Julie. Thank you.

message 31: by Kristen (new)

Kristen God I love that woman! Quakers believe in gay marriage, don't they Julie? Because I would gay marry the shit out of you!

Don't mind my foulmouthed friend Julie, she's just jealous of our love!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Damn you, Kristen! You have the world, and then you just take, take, take some more. Julie is MY stalker, you insatiable bitch! Denial isn't a river...or something.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie Anytime! I need to apologize for hurting your feelings with commenting on your many references to the "Benjamin Button" movie although it was obviously the book we were reviewing and it had relatively nothing to do with the movie or it's plot. I didn't realize you and your friends were so sensitive to criticism. Lesson learned! Just because you read doesn't mean you are intelligent or mature. As obviously your reaction and language testifies.
But don't get discouraged!! It might happen!
All the Best!!

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Julie doesn't love you, she loves me! She just sent me a PM two minutes ago saying that yes she would gay marry me but only if I don't invite you to our wedding. I told her you were my friend but she was like 'you need to choose' so of course I was like 'it's me and you against the world Julie'! So sorry you can't come to our wedding and it's going to be an open bar too, bet you wish you had been nicer to Julie now, huh?

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen We're getting out wedding photos done at Walmart next week, I'll send you one so long as Julie says it's ok.

message 36: by Greg (new)

Greg I'm kind of fucking jealous. I never get trolls who show up on multiple reviews.

Paquita Maria Sanchez She came back for more, Greg! She still wants to know me! Do you think this means it's real love? Like in the storybooks? Should I wear my sexiest undies next time Julie and I hang out, just in case?

Anyway, thanks, Julie! You do flatter me so! My feelings really were hurt, but not over the fact that a non-writer goes around slagging people for criticizing books the non-writing critic critic hasn't even finished yet. No, what's eating at me is the way you look at Kristen. And the fact that I'm not invited to your wedding...that stings, Julie! I would probably just get wasted, get on the mic, and give a really uncomfortable, highly personal speech dripping with jealousy for your love. Remember me when you look in her eyes, Julie!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Oh, and I'll have you know that my mother thinks I am very intelligent! She tole me so one time! I'll smoke you at backgammon, Julie! Whenever you want. Anytime. Just call. PLEASE CALL.

message 39: by Kristen (new)

Kristen WHORE!!!!!

message 40: by Greg (new)

Greg Paquita Maria wrote: "She came back for more, Greg! She still wants to know me! Do you think this means it's real love? Like in the storybooks? Should I wear my sexiest undies next time Julie and I hang out, just in..."

message 42: by Paquita Maria (last edited Apr 23, 2012 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez Greg wrote: "You should probably wear them every time you write a review just in case she drops by."

I mean, not that I find it impossible that Julie was randomly scanning reviews of an obscure-ish, 17th-century sex play only days after I had read and reviewed it and just so happened to come across mine, but I kinda think there's an ever-so-slight chance that she was intentionally checking out my profile of her own volition. Is that egotistical of me? I can't help it, it's just so flattering!

Paquita Maria Sanchez Kristen wrote: "I love you Julie"

Back off, ho!

message 44: by Greg (new)

Greg She's probably wallpapered her house with printouts of your pictures and checks goodreads daily hoping that you've written a new review. She probably checks herself from commenting on everyone of them, not wanting you to know how much she thinks about you. But then you wrote a review for a play called "Sodomy" and she just couldn't control herself anymore. I think it's obvious where her mind is at.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Holy shit, I think Julie blocked me! That's so mature of her! You know, when my friends piss me off, I delete them from my facebook, too. That'll show 'em! Oh Julie, you truly are The Best.

Paquita Maria Sanchez Greg, you are soooooo right! It was weird...I got, like, fifteen emails that said 'Julie is now following your reviews' that were time-stamped @4am, but then when I went to look, she wasn't there a single time. What does it all mean?!

message 47: by Greg (new)

Greg It could mean nothing, don't we all just start following people at 4am while we are drunk and masturbating to user profiles on goodreads? Or it could be true love.

message 48: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I normally masturbate to Julie's profile in the afternoon, not at 4am, what type of weirdo does that?

message 49: by Paquita Maria (last edited Apr 23, 2012 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paquita Maria Sanchez She hasn't reached the point of drunkenly PM-ing me, though! I am counting the seconds until she does. You can't take that shit back, yo. Evidence!

message 50: by Kristen (new)

Kristen She sent me naked photos she took at Sears portrait studio! Hot!!!!

And no you can't see them pervs!

« previous 1