Book Twirps's Reviews > Dare Me

Dare Me by Megan Abbott

Jul 31, 12

Read from July 20 to 24, 2012

Sugar and spice and everything nice, that’s what little girls are made of, or at least that’s what the old nursery rhyme claims, but it’s not the case with the cheerleaders in Megan Abbott’s wildly original Dare Me.

Addy’s spent most of her life as Beth’s right-hand girl. Best friends since grade school, the two of them are inseparable. Beth is queen bee of the cheerleading squad, and Addy helps her keep the rest of the girls on the squad in check and humiliated as needed. That is, until Colette French, the new coach, arrives. Coach’s first order of business is to do away with the current pecking order, switching things up and ousting Beth as team captain. She’s determined to turn this squad of high-kicking, ass-shakers into a competitive team — competitive being the operative word. As the girls fall under Coach’s spell, Addy and the rest of the girls find their limits tested, their lives changed and their friendships threatened, culminating in a delicious murder mystery that will leave the reader turning pages well past their bedtime.

I wasn’t familiar with Ms. Abbott’s books before Dare Me, but she definitely has a new fan. This book is addicting and written with such passion, the intensity practically jumps off the page and smacks you. Addy is our narrator and Ms. Abbott writes with such a deep POV, that you can’t help but feel every leap, shin splint, heartache and fear that pours out of Addy. All of the characters are rich and complex. I was totally grabbed by Coach French, and could totally understand why the girls wanted so badly to please her, even if she is a little messed up.

The story moves at a wonderful pace and perfectly blends high school drama, intensity and an unexpected murder mystery that will keep you guessing. It’s also a deep character study into the needs, desires and complexities of teenage girls. When I first read that this was about cheerleaders, I wasn’t sure I would be interested, but the cheerleading aspect isn’t typical. These girls aren’t the group of cliché, vapid airheads shouting “Go-Fight-Win” while shaking their pom-poms and smacking bubblegum. Coach changes them into something much darker, and their intensity is both contagious and a little frightening. I couldn’t stop thinking about it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dare Me.

07/20/2012 page 108