bredoblet's Reviews > The Risk Pool

The Risk Pool by Richard Russo

M_50x66
Jul 18, 07

Read in July, 2007

At times, the witty, verbal judo between the characters was justification enough to read this book, but this story pales in comparison with Russo's Pulitzer winning Empire Falls. I've probably read six or seven books since I started The Risk Pool; I'd discard it, or intentionally set it in some obscure spot, but whenever I found it, I was compelled to finish it. The characters are so well developed, they become familiar and real. As always, Russo does a remarkable job humanizing and romanticizing the life of the lower class: social outcasts, swindlers, cheats, alcoholics, and petty thieves.

The setting is virtually the same as Empire Falls: downtrodden, post-war, working-class, upstate New York. A small town in decline, the inhabitants steadfast and proud, determined to hold on to their bar stools and beers and heroically go down with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Risk Pool.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Chris I completely agree with everything you're saying- I had pretty much the same reaction to the book myself. Very well said.

...thought I'd mention before someone else does- Empire Falls takes place in Maine, not New York.