Chanel Alvarez's Reviews > Before We Were Free

Before We Were Free by Julia Álvarez

Apr 19, 12

Read in April, 2012

Before we were free takes place in the Dominican Republic during the 1960's when a dictator is at rule. Anita is a strong teenage girl living in a compound with her family. She becomes frightened when the "secret police" arrive at her house looking for her cousins after they left for the United States. Anita asks many questions because she wants answers but everyone including her Mama always tells her to hush. Growing confused she finally finds her answers but then becomes confused to why they worship such a dictator who in everyone in the communities eyes is a bad ruler. Anita is an character trying to find answers and freedom. She faces regular teenage problems that many teens can relate to. This a good book for teens to read because they can relate to Anita and her struggles and also can teach teens about political situations that happened in the Dominican Republic and people migrating to the United States to be free.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before We Were Free.