Lisa Helene's Reviews > Jerusalem: One City, Three Faiths

Jerusalem by Karen Armstrong

Apr 19, 2012

Read in April, 2012

Karen Armstrong made the Bible come alive for me this year during Holy Week, when I read this book. She traces the history of the city (which was conquered by King David and only then added to the Kingdom of Israel) and the evolving faith of people who have lived there, primarily Jews, Christians and Muslims. Revered today as a holy city, the ancient town was an indefensible village in the mountains, far from trade routes and inhabitable only because of water that flowed beneath it. Over the centuries it was conquered, destroyed, lost and won, repeatedly by all sides. Some leaders allowed inhabitants to keep their religions, others chased out infidels; strikingly, Christians rarely behaved like Christians towards each other or the Muslims and Jews who shared the Holy City. Armstrong traces both the historical and spiritual context of the events that shaped the people and the city. By explaining the living-history experiences of the inhabitants as well as the evolving spirituality of each major religion, Armstrong reveals how sacred geography effects us and changes the course of human events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jerusalem.