Karen's Reviews > Howards End

Howards End by E.M. Forster

Apr 19, 12

"Either some very dear person or some very dear place seems necessary to relieve life’s daily grey and to show that it is grey. If possible, one should have both." "Love was so unlike the article served up in books." "It is the starved imagination, not the well-nourished, that is afraid."
"Pity was at the bottom of her actions all through this crisis. Pity, if one may generalize, lays at the bottom of woman. When men like us, it is for our better qualities, and however tender their liking, we dare not be unworthy of it or they will quietly let us go. But unworthiness stimulates woman—it brings out her deeper nature for good or for evil. Here was the core of the question. Henry must be forgiven and made better by love. Nothing else mattered." "To have no illusions and yet to love, what stronger surety can a woman find?" "Whatever the idea of death may contain, the process can be trivial and hideous." "Remorse is not among the eternal verities…. Her action is too capricious. And of all means of regeneration, remorse is surely the most wasteful. It cuts away healthy tissues with a poison. It is a knife that probes far deeper than the evil."

I listened to this book on tape and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is very philosophical and poetic. It was published in 1910, and set in Edwardian England. The main characters are so well-developed and their interaction is unique and entertaining. The story is about life and love, but it is not solely a romance. There are interesting twists and shocking (for 1910!) moral lapses, however the most interesting part of the book is the philosophy behind the characters and their actions.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howards End.