Trin's Reviews > Out of the Deep I Cry

Out of the Deep I Cry by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Sep 06, 08

bookshelves: mystery, american-lit

Third in the “A priest and a cop fight crime!” series. This one started out very slow—about half the narrative is devoted to flashbacks to Millers Kill in the ’20s and ’30s, and I just found it hard to be interested in that when I wanted to know what was up with Russ and Clare. They’re separated for much of the early part of the novel, as well, in part because they’re busy, and in part because they’re kind of avoiding each other as they try to not let things heat up between them again. When they’re finally given scenes together is when the book comes alive: this novel’s fairly dull mystery is saved for me, utterly, but just two sequences, one in which Russ falls and breaks his leg, and another in which he and Clare are trapped in a flooding basement. Man, those crazy kids can sure get into trouble!

I am going to keep reading these books because Spencer-Fleming has created a couple—and an arc of sexual tension—that I really believe in and want to see find resolution.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of the Deep I Cry.