Emi's Reviews > Rules of the Road

Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer

F 50x66
Aug 29, 08

Recommended for: Middle schoolers to adults

I always forget to add books to my Goodreads page but i remembered this time!!

Anyway, "Rules of the Road" by Joan Bauer is a great book about a 16 year old girl named Jenna Boller who has some problems at home, like her dad's alcohol problems and her mom working all the time to support her family. Jenna doesn't have many friends but everyday she looks forward to selling shoes at her job after school at Gladstone's Shoes. She is very good at it and always feels comfortable at Gladstone's. One day her father comes back to town drunk after her not seeing him for 2 years and Jenna knows the problems for her family will start coming up as they always do when he comes around. Then when her no nonsense boss asks her to be her driver on a road trip for six weeks all over the country, Jenna knows this is what she needs: to get away. But this trip turns into something she will never forget, where she encounters a tragedy of a new friend, finds herself getting closer to Mrs. Gladstone, her boss, and saves a business.

This is a really great book and I recommend it to middle school girls to adults. It is the kind of book that everyone will love. It is funny, sad and thriling; and you can really feel yourself getting closer to Jenna every page. If you aren't sure you'll read it now, give it a try and I guarantee you won't be able to put it down. I give this a 5 star, and I'll tell you I'm a tough grader.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rules of the Road.