Bree's Reviews > Through My Eyes

Through My Eyes by Ruby Bridges

F 50x66
Apr 19, 12

Through My Eyes is actual pictures and personal stories compiled together. Ruby Bridges tells her story of the life going through the Civil Rights Movement. On November 14, 1960 she was surrounded by federal marshals went through a mob and into her school. That day she became first African-American student to attend the all-white William Frantz Public School in New Orleans, Louisiana. On that day, there were parents of white kids taking their children out of school, there were riots outside and in the streets. Even the State legislature called for white families to boycott mixed schools. For a year, Ruby was separated from the other children and was the only child in her class. Ruby didn't care she went to her classroom and learned how to read and write. With the help of a loving teacher, Ruby made it through a difficult year and paved the way for many African American children who followed in her footsteps in integrated schools. Today, Ruby Bridges still fights for equal education for all children through her lectures and the Ruby Bridges Foundation.
Ruby tells her story in this autobiography, which also serves as a historical document. Throughout the book, she includes articles and quotes from newspapers, community members, family members, and teachers.
I found this book to meet much of the criteria for Notable Books for a Global Society. It meets the focus for accuracy and authenticity of the people depicted in terms of physical characteristics, social and economic status, intellectual and problem-solving abilities, and displays of leadership and cooperation. Clearly, it is her personal story so it going to be accurate. There are also actual pictures and newspaper quotes that prove even more how accurate her story it. Just from reading the story you get pulled into the rich detail, which meets the criteria as well.
One weakness I noticed, and this could be just me, but I thought the pages were very text heavy. There were pictures to take up some pages but the rest was small over whelming text. There are quotes in different color boxes and the rest is small text. Like I said this is more preference. Because it has a lot of text lead to that there is a great amount of information in the book. So even with my silly complaint, it is still a great resource.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through My Eyes.