Ange's Reviews > How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing With Toxic & Difficult to Love Personalities

How to Hug a Porcupine by John Lewis Lund

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: currently-re-reading, i-own-this-book, family-relationships
Read in March, 2012

I am a huge fan of the library so this should tell you how much I loved this book and highly recommend it when I say I read it, went out and bought 3 copies of it, gave 2 away, and highlighted my own in a second reading of it all within a 3 week time period. I really appreciate the manner in which Dr. Lund approaches the subject, the insights he has, and how this book has helped remind me that I cannot control others' behaviors and that stressing over them doesn't help me. He has given me a lot to ponder about concerning relationships of all kinds. If you don't feel like you this book is for you because you don't know any "porcupines" let me just tell you that his discussions on relationships were excellent regardless of whether or not you think this book has anything for you. For example, the chapter on children was one I thought I didn't need to read but on a skimming of it I found myself devouring it and enjoying the many things I didn't think I'd learn from it. Dr. Lund uses case studies to illustrate what he's talking about, which I found extremely helpful. The last quarter of the book is a great discussion on the Art of Giving and Receiving Criticism which I thought was excellent. He has given me a lot to think about but I think that the best part of it is in the gentle realization that we are all porcupines to some degree and that rather than feel like we need to blame others for our actions or berate ourselves we can each begin to improve ourselves.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Hug a Porcupine.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime Based on your recommendation alone, I attempted to buy this book on Amazon. (And I rarely, if EVER, buy books.) But it was available for purchase and there are no copies at any of our Southern Nevada libraries. I am now on the hunt. Thanks for sharing this.

message 2: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime *unavailable for purchase.

Ange Jaime, the only place I could find it for purchase (and the best price) was Deseret Book. And their shipping rates are pretty good.

message 4: by Jaime (new) - added it

Jaime I'll check that out. Thanks!