Rebecca's Reviews > The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be Me

The Council of Dads by Bruce Feiler

Apr 19, 12

Read in December, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I quite enjoyed this book. Guy finds out he has cancer and has two young twin girls and wants to make sure that they will have a "father" presence in their life if he dies, so he gathers some people that have either meant something to him or were with him during important times in his life. This book was very personal in that while we can all take stock of our lives after reading it, the stories were very personal and only had to do with this one guy and no one else. I liked the way this book was written, both about his family past and history, inter-spliced with stories about why the guys he's chosen mean something to him. Not all of them are his best friends, but I liked that a lot too. Spoiler Alert! He lives, at least until the end of the book and in the book bio, but I haven't looked him up since.

Also was interesting how he thinks he got the cancer as it was in his leg and when he was a kid, he had a major accident and maybe the bone didn't heal correctly and the cells formed oddly and gave him cancer. I found it interesting that this could be possible. I had never heard that theory before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Council of Dads.