Jess's Reviews > Catching Fireflies

Catching Fireflies by Sherryl Woods

May 27, 12

bookshelves: 2012, net-galley, sherryl-woods
Read from May 18 to 23, 2012

I loved this new edition to the Sweet Magnolias series. The main characters are J.C. Fullerton (the town pediatrician) and a high school teacher Laura Reed. Both are intimately aware of what can happen when children are bullied in school and are shocked when they discover that it is happening in their own town. J.C. and Laura work together to try to help a teen gather back her life after it is ripped to shreds when the school bully focuses in on her life. Not only is she bullied in person but it is fueled even further by being addressed on social media sites.

I really enjoyed watching the story of the bullying unfold and I actually felt that this was the main plot in this book rather than the romance being the forerunner. I couldn't believe the antics that these kids were pulling and how it was tearing a girls life apart. There were definitely a few points where I teared up and it brought me back to remembering high school and how mean people could be to one another. This was definitely more intense than some of the other books in the series but as a result it was more compelling and really made me want to read even more. I tore through this book faster than I normally go through a Woods book because it was just that good.

The story between J.C. and Laura was really sweet and I love how they were both so hesitant at first because they had both been hurt in the past. I also found it cute how J.C. kept insisting that he didn't date but in actuality he went on more than one date. The romance between them was just really cute and made me sigh a few times over, but I did feel like it was missing that sexual spark that romance characters usually have. The heat between them was definitely less intense and seemed more like the typical old married couple.

Can't wait to see what's going to come next in this series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fireflies.