Sara Kovach's Reviews > Moonlight on Linoleum: A Daughter's Memoir

Moonlight on Linoleum by Terry Helwig

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, memoir
Read from April 22 to 26, 2012

What a compelling and heart-tugging story that Terry Helwig tells of her childhood!! She allows us a glimpse into her tumultuous life. She is raised in a dysfunctional family, with a troubled mother, who moves them around more often than not, wherever and whenever it provides her with some gain. She basically raises her many sisters in the homes of her various fathers and/or grandparents.

As opposed to many memoirs, I found Helwig's writing to be very refreshing and honest. Although her life is a roller-coaster, she tells it as it happens, and does not paint her self the victim. She writes her story as a way of showing how her childhood made her who she is. She triumphed and did not let everything overtake her, rather it allowed her to grow and become strong because of it. She introduced us to those that made an impact on her life. Although her mother caused much of the struggle in her life, rather than resent her, she painted a picture of a child who loved her mother very much.

As a teacher, I am very happy that I had the opportunity to read this book. Many times, we have students moving in and out, often not considering what they are going through. The story Terry Helwig shared of changing schools almost yearly, and sometimes a few times a year, opened my eyes to the possible needs of such students.

I want to commend Helwig for the strength it had to take to write such an emotionally charged memoir. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight on Linoleum.