Rachel's Reviews > Sounder

2010827
Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: read-outloud-with-kids
Read from April 18 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy

Blah - can that be my review?

Okay, I know that this is a Newberry, but I can't hide the fact that none of us enjoyed this book. It was dull, boring, and uneventful. Every night the kids would say, "we don't like this book. It's sad, it's boring. Why don't they name the characters?" Every night I would say, "I think it's just about to get better." By Chapter 5 I was frustrated and had given up on something interesting happening. We read it just to finish it, but none of us wanted to or enjoyed it. We just got through it. Makes me wonder if it's ever worth it to read a book that you don't like...

When we finished it, we all sighed a breath of relief. I think there were actually a few, "thank goodness it's over, thank goodness it's a short book. What can we read next?"

I'm sure that there is redeeming literary value in this book. If I think hard enough about it, I CAN pick a few things out. However, the book was so boring that any literary value was lost on me.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sounder.

04/20/2012 page 64
50.0% "Kids keep repeating, "I don't like this book. Why are we reading about a dog who was shot and a boy that is carrying around the dog's ear in his pocket. This book is sad. I still don't like this book....." My response, "Oh, we're finishing it baby.""