Lucy's Reviews > Inside Out and Back Again

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

May 23, 12

bookshelves: may
Read from April 19 to May 23, 2012

The Vietnam War is closely reaching Saigon. School's closing early and everyone has to flee. Father has gone missing and ten-year-old Ha doesn't want to leave her home. Soon Ha and her family decide to board the ship to go to America. They leave their home and hear the bombs in the distance. Saigon is gone. On the ship, each family is only allowed one mat with a limited amount of food. Everyone waits to get picked. A family in Alabama picks Ha's family. Ha goes to school and has lots of trouble fitting in. But her and her family aren't gonna give up. They learn to find peace and happiness.

I didn't pick this book up, my dad did. He borrowed to for me and I saw it and it seemed interesting to read. This book is in poetry form and honestly, I didn't like this book so much. There was a lot of bullying and I was surprised that Ha didn't stand up for herself. It was really disappointing when her father was confirmed dead. I thought it would have been better if the found her dad, it would have been more interesting.

I just finished this book because I was curious about what Ha would do and if her father was still alive.

I would recommend this book to Michelle T. because she loves poetry books and I think she might find it interesting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Out and Back Again.

04/19/2012
05/09/2012 page 100
48.0% "Ha has moved from her hometown to the ship to go to America. I find this book interesting because it's in peotry form. I wonder if Ha gets to see his father again."
05/09/2012 page 100
48.0% "Ha has moved from her hometown to the ship to go to America. I find this book interesting because it's in peotry form. I wonder if Ha gets to see her father again."
show 2 hidden updates…