Jennie's Reviews > American Savior: A Novel of Divine Politics

American Savior by Roland Merullo

Aug 29, 2008

Read in October, 2008

Won this as a First Reads- It's so awesome to have a book with "Advanced Copy- Not For Sale" printed on it! Thanks!

****************

When I first began this book, I had a hard time getting Christopher Moore's Josh (Jesus)character out of my head. I will admit that the Jesus of American Savior didn't immediately strike me as much as the Jesus of Lamb.

However, after a few chapters, I was able to put that aside and begin to enjoy this book. This is a story that chronicles a presidential run by none other than Jesus Christ. One reason that I liked it so much is that the politics of the book were more or less politics I could agree with. I imagine that there are quite a few people who would disagree with Merullo's Jesus' take on abortion: he had no position because abortion is neither right nor wrong. I think that if the historical Jesus came back to run for President, it would be much like this book: half of the country embracing him and half (including the religious right) eschewing him as a crazy liberal hippy.

I think what this book spoke to me the most about was my desire to see a politician who 1) really wants to make things better and 2) wants to involve everyone, regardless of race, class, creed or religion in the discussion of how to do that. *sigh*

Anyway, it was a humorous book that was extremely topical. Identifying the thinly veiled newscasters was a lot of fun. One thing that I really appriciated was that this book wasn't preachy, Jesus wasn't constantly telling people to go to church and as a matter of fact, never even promoted Christianity as a religion. The last scene between Jesus and the narrator, while predictable, I found to be very touching. Oh, and in full disclosure- one scene involves Jesus giving a stump speech in a "pretty little college town named Kearney." Kearney actually was my pretty little college town, so I got a huge kick out of that. Go Lopers!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Savior.