Krisi Keley's Reviews > Wraith

Wraith by Angel Lawson

Apr 29, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, ya
Recommended for: fans of YA paranormal
Read on April 01, 2012 — I own a copy

3 ½ stars

Seventeen year old Jane Watts is struggling to fit in at school, a challenge for any teenager, but a bit of a nightmare when one’s best friend is a ghost. Jane is alone and confused, unable to understand why the spirit of this gentle boy, Evan, has chosen to make itself known to her, until Connor, a handsome and charming, but possibly dangerous, student, rumored to be returned from a stint in juvie, asks her about her otherworldly friend whom he, too, can apparently see. As Jane’s relationship with Connor develops in light of the secret they both share, the two become entangled in the danger that stole Evan’s life.

I found Wraith to be an extremely enjoyable YA paranormal romance with a very likable hero – Connor, the “bad boy” who isn’t really bad at all. The heroine, at times, seemed a little overly-hostile to Connor’s wish to help her and to his obvious caring for her, but it was understandable for the most part, considering why she had such trust issues, and I loved Jane’s unique voice and personality – she was smart, funny and realistically-portrayed. The pacing of the story was great and the character development very well done; both the mystery and the relationship between Jane and Connor evolved naturally over time. I also really liked the mix of light humor with the more serious, emotional story, as well as the art aspect and descriptions of graffiti art. The only difficulty I had with the story, and the thing that keeps me from giving it a higher rating (although I upped my star rating to four because I did enjoy the story so much), is that there were a number of noticeable editing issues, like missing words and/or punctuation and the like. This didn’t take away from my overall enjoyment of the story, but there were a few more mistakes beyond the typo here or there. I still recommend it to fans of YA ghost stories because it is an easy and good read that smoothly combines the paranormal and romance elements and, although I think another copyedit of Wraith would be beneficial, I believe Angel Lawson is a talented author with an original voice and I look forward to reading more from her.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wraith.