Vinaya's Reviews > Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Apr 20, 2012

bookshelves: happy-happy-gay, books-i-liked, fluff-fluffy-fluffest, hmm-that-was-interesting, favorites, mixed-vibes, romance, speshul-snowflake, wish-that-was-me, ya-fiction
Recommended to Vinaya by: Hannah
Read from April 19 to 20, 2012

Or Ten Reasons Why You Should Read Boy Meets Boy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I want to live in the world David Levithan has created. It's fun, it's fabulous, it's the literary equivalent of unicorn fart! Sure, I know there probably doesn't exist a place where all the teenagers gather together to dance away Sunday nights in the local bookstore. Where the school's star quarterback is a crossdresser with the improbable name of Infinite Darlene. Where the Boy Scouts quit and reform as the Joy Scouts because the Boy Scouts wouldn't accept gay members. But it's nice to suspend your disbelief and just enjoy this magical, happy place with it's accepting, encouraging populace where being gay is no more unusual than being straight and the love of your life would just walk up to you in the Self Improvement section. Hello, Narnia!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I don't think I stopped smiling AT ALL through the first hundred-odd pages of this book. I asked for a happy gay romance, and boy, did this story deliver! Paul is a great protagonist - he is comfortable in his own skin, he is popular and well-adjusted, he has an adorable family I just could not get enough of, and the story of his and Noah's budding romance is all sparkles and rainbows without being cheesy in the least. I LOVED the fact that Noah brought him flowers on their first date, and I loved that we got to see them hang out with his quirky family. This book was like an episode of Glee - you know real life's not this easy, but that's kind of the point!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Despite the sunshine-y tone of the book, it manages to address several issues with a fairly large cast of characters who all steal your heart. There's Tony, struggling struggling with his sexuality in the midst of his rabidly religious family. And Kyle, Paul's ex, who is confused about whether he likes girls or boys, unable to understand that liking both is a possibility. And then there's Joni, who's been friends with Paul since forever, but now she's changing, because she's in love with the one boy who can't accept Paul for what he is. And Noah, so happy in the beginning, but filled with doubts on the inside, burned before and wary of being burned again. This is a story about a bunch of teenagers trying to find their place in the world, and the general tone of levity doesn't distract from the importance of the message.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So there I was, coasting along on this pink cloud, when I got a rude shock! (view spoiler)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

David Levithan must be some kind of genius. After a twist that left me fuming mad, I thought the rest of the book was going to be ruined. But somehow, he managed to explain it just right, in a way that was realistic and compassionate, yet without make lame justifications for Paul's behaviour. Somehow, somehow, he managed to not only bring me back to the point of liking the book, he had me smiling again!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I am a complete girl when it comes to romance. Nothing melts my heart like hearts and flowers and grand gestures. And this book had some of the most satisfyingly cheesy romantic gestures ever written. Again, I say, I want to live in David Levithan's world! I loved the way the relationship between the two main characters was rebuilt, in a manner that was sweet and warm, and peculiarly their own, giving the reader a nice case of the warm fuzzies.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If you are not a big fan of sweetness and light, I would suggest you stay away from this book. As you can probably tell from the cutesy cover, it is pure fluff - the kind of book you'd take with you to the beach. It is very well written fluff, however, and if straightforward romance floats your boat, I could not recommend this book more highly. Now, since I am running out of words, Reasons 9 and 10 shall speak for themselves!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My recommendation? Date a Unicorn - Read this book - Up your fuzzy quotient today!

Oh, and thank you to Hannah Moskowitz for recommending a book that exactly met my requirements! :)

Image Attribution: Matthew Inman for Mingle2.com
75 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Meets Boy.

02/03 marked as: read

Aly (Fantasy4eva) this was such a fun read. think you'll like it :)

Rebecca This is one of my very favourites.

Hannah so glad you liked it!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Nice unicorn review! (And I completely agree with your spoiler! That is one of the few things that can devastate the star rating of a book for me! I hate when that particular behavior is condoned.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Sargent Totally unrelated to your review - if you like Matthew Inman's stuff, you should check out his website, The Oatmeal. Unless you already know it exists... in which case, you already know the awesomeness that is Matthew Inman. I'm only slightly obsessed.

Sonia ღ Fabulous review, Vinaya! :)