Bennett Coles's Reviews > The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

May 29, 2012

liked it
Read from May 25 to 29, 2012

This story starts in a style typical of the era: a leisurely, thoughtful examination of an imaginary society - in this case, humanity on the moon in the not-too-distant future. It's classic Heinlein with solid science, thinly-veiled political philosophy and some suggestions on how our society might evolve (such as polygamy with as many husbands as wives).

But then, about half-way in, the book changes tone and becomes a fascinating story of political intrigue, growing eventually into a rather thrilling military confrontation. What made this so enjoyable was the fact that I wasn't expecting it at all based on the earlier part of the book. Now Heinlein is the grand-daddy of military sci-fi so this wasn't a stretch for him, but it was still a radical shift in tone for a single novel - in my humble opinion.

The earlier part of the book is rather slow, and the dialogue is quite stilted throughout (normal for a book of this age) and unfortunately these factors slightly reduced my enjoyment of an otherwise brilliant and engaging book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.