Matt's Reviews > Gossamer

Gossamer by Lois Lowry

Apr 19, 12

I like Lois Lowry. This is a very short audio book (3 discs total). It's the story of an older woman (with a dog named toby!) who takes in a foster child, an angry, emotionally stunted young boy (age 8) whose father abused him and his mom (discussed v. briefly in 1-2 ugly flashbacks). A parallel story concerns invisible beings that visit the protagonists' home at night, collect impressions from physical objects, and impart dreams that strengthen the people. They are in competition with other invisible beings that cause nightmares that weaken the people. The good/bad beings also visit the boy's mom in a small sub-plot as she tries to stabilize herself to regain custody of the boy. The conflict is whether the older woman can help the boy to overcome the abuse and become a loving child again. We only see the beginning of that process, not the end. Lowry's imgined worled of spiritual beings we can't see (guardian angels?) that help direct us to make good/bad choices in life is interesting and continues the underlying spiritual aspect of her earlier work w/o overtly discussing "God" or any "higher power" (see, e.g., the miraculous Christ-like healing powers of the protagonist Matt in the Messenger). This is a good book for a 6th grader. Good job, Lois!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gossamer.