Wealhtheow's Reviews > Curricle & Chaise

Curricle & Chaise by Lizzie Church

Apr 19, 2012

bookshelves: historical, regency
Read from April 17 to 18, 2012

After Lydia Barrington is orphaned, she tries to maintain her household but is quickly forced to admit defeat. Her younger sister goes to live with one aunt, and she to another. Although her Aunt Abdale does her best to make Lydia feel the full humiliation of being a poor dependent relation, Lydia manages to make friends and enjoy herself. She even makes a connection to a local gentleman. But the course of love never did run smooth--Lydia's poverty and lack of protection

I was astonished by how much I enjoyed this book. The language is just what I wish for from a regency romance: long sentences with plenty of clauses, reminiscent of the literary style of the 1790s-1820 without sounding forced. The tone is light, but with a dollop of social insight. Lydia herself is a wonderful heroine, with plenty of spirit and wit without ever coming across as anachronistic or waspish. The plot clips along quickly, but there's plenty of time to enjoy the slow build of relationships and yearning tension.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curricle & Chaise.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

hi Wealhtheow, where can I find this book? I'm searching for some good stuff to read after re-reading several times all Jane Austen, any recommendation? have you heard of this: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12... ?

Wealhtheow Hi Antía,
I've reread Austen too many times myself! I'm always on the look out for more substitutes. Curricle and Chaise isn't as good as Austen, of course, but it's definitely enjoyable! I found it as an ebook.

I haven't read the Shades of Milk and Honey books yet, though I do intend to. Regency romance + magic = everything I like!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Wealhtheow wrote: "Hi Antía,

thanks Wealhtheow, I find your "regency" shelf a good one to search for future reading :) I'll search for that one. I thought "Shades of milk and honey" was a fun one and actually better than I expected, I think it's meant to be a series, it's a fun one for light comfort read.