Joshua Nomen-Mutatio's Reviews > The Life of Saint Teresa of Ávila by Herself

The Life of Saint Teresa of Ávila by Herself by Teresa of Ávila

Aug 29, 08

bookshelves: theology, religion
Read in November, 2004 — I own a copy

When reading this in liberal arts school and participating in discussion based class sessions I drew great knee jerk, PC-er than thou, dogmatic insistence at tolerating all things with word 'religious' or 'spiritual' attached to them (besides red state Christian fundamentalism) type of reactions by calling Ms. Teresa a junky looking for her God fix. I stand by this assessment today. I found her writing to be an interesting read nonetheless but also felt sorry for her and her rejection of the present world in favor of 18 hours of praying per day focusing only on thoughts of the hereafter. She sought the rush of endorphins and called it spiritual ecstacy. She spoke of God as her lover. She expressed a vicious hatred for the present world with all of its imperfections.

I do like that sculpture on the cover though. David Foster Wallace references it in Infinite Jest when describing the way Madame Psychosis (AKA The Prettiest Girl Of All Time, P.G.O.A.T.) feels when free basing cocaine: the Ecstacy of Saint Teresa of Avila.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life of Saint Teresa of Ávila by Herself.