MCOH's Reviews > Still Life With Rice: A Young American Woman Discovers the Life and Legacy of Her Korean Grandmother

Still Life With Rice by Helie Lee
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Life With Rice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lisa Nelson I wonder if this would make a good book club selection. Maybe too violent? I can't remember. I really enjoyed this book and still think about the strong female characters.

MCOH Actually, I can't remember it all that well. My ratings are all kind of arbitrary, because my memories of a lot of these books are fuzzy. I just remember really liking this book a lot when I read it. Do you still own it? Maybe one of us could reread it, and then decide if it's a good book club pick.

Lisa Nelson Oops that last comment was from me and not Julia! She didn't read Still Life or the Red Tent. ( :

MCOH Well, she is an advanced reader, but those might be a bit over her head. :-) I love that she's writing all her own reviews on her own account. That is so cool!

Rating books is hard, especially when it's been a few years since I read the book. There are some books that are much better written and more substantive that I rated lower than some fluffy books, just because I really enjoyed the fluffy read. It doesn't mean it's really a better book. Some of the books I read were excellent, but depressing or disturbing or just kind of dense and a slower read, so I gave them a lower rating. I guess everyone knows, going into this, that the ratings are subjective and not all that meaningful. Right?

Lisa Nelson No meaning at all! I'm constantly changing my mind and giving half stars. My brother-in-law Scott was starting an effort to get half stars incorporated into the system by e-mailing good reads. I did, and was surprised that they e-mailed back and said they were working on it since so many had requested it.

MCOH That is good news! It would still be arbitrary, but a little better