Marfita's Reviews > Pineapple Grenade

Pineapple Grenade by Tim Dorsey

Apr 19, 12

Read on April 18, 2012

I worry about Tim Dorsey. He seems far too interested in making unique and horrifying ways to kill someone funny ... and deserving. And he's starting to get self-referential, or maybe I just never noticed it before. Pineapple Grenade: A Novel is a rich parody of spy novels, with more twists than a Chubby Checker Convention. The generals of Costa Gorda need to encourage the rebels so that they have a reason to stage a coup in case the elected president becomes too much of a problem. Two cells of the CIA are working at cross-purposes on this as well as some recursive illegal arms deal. It's just politics as usual. Enter Serge Storms, our hero - oh, and his stoner sidekick, Coleman. All your favorite characters make their appearances, if only briefly. The hapless Johnny Vegas continues his unintended virginity. Mahoney, retired from chasing Serge, is now Serge's back-up. And every spy trope you know (especially the Bond film ones) is sent up, but because it's Serge, you know the baddies will suffer. Never fear, Serge is here. OMG, what am I saying?!
(Favorite bits: the Guardian Mimes and "What do you know about the plot?")
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pineapple Grenade.