Gary the Bookworm's Reviews > The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset

The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

Nov 23, 14

bookshelves: my-ebooks
Read from April 19 to 22, 2012

I finished reading the entire trilogy in three days so I guess it captured something in me. Although it's touted as a book for young readers there is something here for everyone. The story is told in the first person by Katniss who unwittingly becomes the "Mockingjay" a hybrid bird that becomes the symbol of revolution as the story enfolds. She is an extraordinary literary concoction, a clueless adolescent who morphs into a mythical huntress without ever losing the voice of a troubled teenager, a sort of female Holden Caulfield impersonating Robin Hood.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Like all good dystopian fiction, the world created here is enough like our own to seem not only plausible, but inevitable, if we can't get our house in order. Archetypes abound and at the center of it all is Katniss, an unforgettable heroic force who has to battle against overwhelming odds before she is able to attend to her own happiness. Imagine yourself channel-surfing between Survivor and American Idol with a bit of I, Claudius and Star Wars thrown into the mix. I can fully understand why these three books are flying off the shelves. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
37 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset.

Gary  the Bookworm I whipped through the first book in one day and am already half way through the second. I can find some minor faults but overall this is a dazzling effort.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim You really did power through, Gary. I'm half way through the audiobook of #2 and I thought I've been going pretty fast!

Gary  the Bookworm We had a weekend of rain so I had no distractions. I had to read fast because I watch a lot of TV on Sunday evening.

message 4: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne I'm looking forward to reading this, though I'm not usually taken with dystopia or fantasies. I did love Fahrenheit 451, though. I'm open to opening a new book, especially with this lavish praise.

message 5: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Your review was better than The Hunger Games. I'm not that interested in all of the action. It reminded me of Star Wars which I didn't care for either. Different strokes for different folks.

Gary  the Bookworm I loved the movie too. It clarified parts of the book and set things up for the sequels. I can't wait!

Jennifer loved your review! I agree 100% I purchased the ebook set when an amazing 50% coupon was emailed to me for kobo.com. I got it and devoured it within 3 days. I agree with your take on Katness being a 16 year old girl, with a teens mentality through the entire series. Amazing considering the torment and pain. I love that she is numb throughout the final parts, shell-shocked like a marine in wartime. Clueless and doesn't have a real sense of what to do next. Peeta and Gale, there never was a question to whom she would end up with. Most of all, I love that these characters have stayed with me so much that I want to re-read it to decipher my feelings for them again and again. Goodread!

message 8: by Gary (last edited May 17, 2012 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary  the Bookworm Thanks. I really got swept away by the trilogy. I'm afraid I'm boring my friends with my enthusiasm. That's why I like Goodreads. All of us seem obsessive about the books we love!

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike I've considered giving this a shot for some time. The plot reminds me of Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and The Running Man by Stephen King, among others. Of course, the idea of violent entertainment for the masses goes back to the days of the gladiators and the idea of the sacrifice of youth is embedded in mythology, particularly the young men and women paid in tribute to Minos in Crete to fall prey in the maze to the Minotaur. Collins had plenty of precedent for her trilogy. The number of YA awards for the first volume in the series is staggering. I agree with you that a well written YA holds something for everyone.

Gary  the Bookworm There has been a lot of negative pushback, especially among my GR circle. The first book is the best, after that she meanders all over the place. There is a series from Japan that many accuse her of copying. I thought Katniss was such a great character that I bought the whole thing. I also loved the film.

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike Gary wrote: "There has been a lot of negative pushback, especially among my GR circle. The first book is the best, after that she meanders all over the place. There is a series from Japan that many accuse her o..."

For those who respond negatively, quote Faulkner. “Read, read, read. Read everything -- trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read! You'll absorb it.
Then write. If it's good, you'll find out. If it's not, throw it out of the window.” Turning one's nose up at a reader's choice is effete censorship. *grin* You know, one musn't always read for edification. Pure entertainment is not a sin unless you're a Puritan.

message 12: by Harry (new)

Harry Mike wrote: "Gary wrote: "There has been a lot of negative pushback, especially among my GR circle. The first book is the best, after that she meanders all over the place. There is a series from Japan that many..."

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike Harry wrote: "Wholeheartedly agree..but then again, America's Caucasian immigrants were primarily puritans and convicts :-) "

Hmmm, I thought the British reserved Van Diemen's Land for the hardened convicts and political dissidents and covered Georgia up with indebted prisoners, filling in the colonies as they worked upward with indentured. servants--so much more economical than slaves. Of course, the Puritans were rather larcenous, celebrating Thanksgiving by stealing the native Americans' stashed corn as opposed to being given it. So I must agree with you after all. *grin*

Gary  the Bookworm Harry wrote: Wholeheartedly agree..but then again, America's Caucasian immigrants were primarily puritans and convicts :-)

Now we call them Republicans and Democrats.

message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve That's quite an imaginative mash up there, Gary: Survivor, American Idol, Star Wars and I, Claudius all in one.

Gary  the Bookworm Steve wrote: "That's quite an imaginative mash up there, Gary: Survivor, American Idol, Star Wars and I, Claudius all in one."

Maybe I got a bit carried away (it is YA Fiction, after all), but it's much better than I expected it to be-especially the first one. I went through a phase last year where I was devouring all the literary crazes and this one hit my sweet spot.

message 17: by Steve (new)

Steve We shouldn't apologize for getting caught up in any craze du jour, especially if it happens to strike us right. :-)

message 18: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea Dailey I wanna see the movie because I are ready watched the first Hunger Games I want to see the next one I love it can't wait!!!!!

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy McTiernan "Imagine yourself channel-surfing between Survivor and American Idol with a bit of I, Claudius and Star Wars thrown into the mix."

Wow! That's quite and enticing description. I saw both movies--liked them a lot. A review I read suggests holding off on the 3rd until the final film comes out. Maybe I'll read the trilogy instead.

Gary  the Bookworm I was trying to post the NY Times' review of the film and I unleashed this review from years back. The geniuses at Apple have messed-up my iPad with all the fixes and I couldn't post the review!

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy McTiernan I'll check it out.

message 22: by Betsy (new)

Betsy McTiernan Just read the NYT review of the film. Hmmm...I still may wait until next year and watch part I and II back to back.

message 23: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Totally agree and love your review. I typically read almost all WWII novels,, but i just read the Giver and now THG series and I'm hooked on dystopian. What would you recommend that's similar to both of those? Revolution, controlling government, etc :)

Gary  the Bookworm Anna wrote: "Totally agree and love your review. I typically read almost all WWII novels,, but i just read the Giver and now THG series and I'm hooked on dystopian. What would you recommend that's similar to bo..."

I like Margaret Atwood...especially The Handmaid's Tale and the MaddAdam Trilogy.

Jennifer Poelma I like hunger games !!!