Julianne Frye's Reviews > Breaking Stalin's Nose

Breaking Stalin's Nose by Eugene Yelchin

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012-newbery-candidate
Read in April, 2012

This book tells the story of a ten-year-old boy, Sasha, living in the Soviet Union during the time that Joseph Stalin was leading the Communist Party. In the beginning, Sasha has his heart set on becoming a Young Pioneer and is devoted to Stalin and Communism. The night before the assembly where Sasha will become a Young Pioneer, officials come to his apartment and take his father away. Sasha is very confused by this and thinks that it must be some kind of mistake. The next day at school, Sasha accidently breaks the nose off of the statue of Stalin. This series of unfortunate events causes an uproar in the school, and helps Sasha to realize that what he has believed in for so many years might not be the best future for him.

I enjoyed reading this book. I didn't know a whole lot about the Cold War before reading it, and this book made me want to research the topic further. Although this was a very easy read, the subject matter would be difficult for young children to understand. I would definitely recommend it for older readers. There are many black and white illustrations in this book. Some of them are very disturbing, but they add to the dark feel of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Stalin's Nose.