Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The World of Downton Abbey

The World of Downton Abbey by Jessica Fellowes

Sep 18, 12

bookshelves: history, non-fiction, art, social-culture, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Lance Greenfield
Recommended for: all fans of the show who’ve seen seasons 1 & 2 but preferably before viewing season 3
Read from August 29 to September 18, 2012

This is an excellent companion book to the television show with the same title.

There is much about the show, including many terrific photos, behind the scenes information about settings and characters, etc. etc.

There is also a lot of non-fiction historical information about the period.

I enjoyed it all.

It’s a beautiful coffee table type book, with quite a bit of substance.

I kind of rushed through the last couple chapters (unfortunately) because it’s due back at the library and there is a queue so I cannot renew it.

I’d recommend reading this book asap if you’re going to read it. I’m glad I read it after seeing seasons 1 and 2 but before seeing the upcoming season 3. I know many new characters and situations will be introduced and I suspect if I’d read this after viewing the third season, I’d feel frustrated at its incompleteness. Reading it now, it felt complete, and it also gave me new insight into some of the characters and situations. Poor Daisy! Her schedule is even harsher than I’d imagined.

I’ve never had servants or been a servant. I think I like it that way. I don’t think I’d enjoy either role. The series is so enjoyable though, at least so far. It was perfect for me to read this book now, while I’m waiting for the airing of the next season. I’ll watch it this time as it airs. The first two seasons I watched on DVD, one episode after the other, with a very short interval between the 2 seasons.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The World of Downton Abbey.

Comments (showing 1-19)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kathryn Oooh!!! Lucky you! I hope you are enjoying it :-) My mom is getting hooked on the series now. It really is so appealing to such a wide range of viewers! Eager to know what you think of the book. It's not at my library yet, but I imagine they will have to get it given the popularity of the television series.

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan I've barely started it and it's due next week and has a long waiting list. I might have to take it out again. I do love the tv series and always enjoy background information, so I think I'll really like it!

Kathryn My library finally has a copy! I'm in the queue. I'm sure it will come before the next season starts. YAY!

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Kathryn, Oh, I'm so glad. Yes, you'll definitely want to read it, and before you see season 3. I will look forward to reading what you think.

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Kathryn, Oh, I'm so glad. Yes, you'll definitely want to read it, and before you see season 3. I will look forward to reading what you think."

Maybe it's good it took awhile for me to get it--I won't have quite so long to wait now until the new season airs ;-p

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Yes, it's a good in-between "fix" and reminder too.

message 13: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey I'm in the middle of the second season right now, and I love this show so much! My husband is crazy about it too, and it is already in his top 3 TV shows ever. I think I will get this book for him for Christmas :)

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Oh, you're lucky, Lindsey. Not too long to wait until season 3. I saw the first and second season back to back earlier this year. If you get this book, I think it's better to read it before season 3 starts.

message 11: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey I will try my best :D I don't know if I'm disciplined enough to wait until Christmas to start the third season. Maybe I'll just read the book before I wrap it :) I know what you mean about being let down about incomplete things, so I do want to take your advice!

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan The third season doesn't come to the U.S. until January.

message 9: by Henrik (new) - added it

Henrik Schunk I am too loving the series and once I have watched it all, I will surely and gladly come back to it through reading this book and others on the period. Thanks for the heads up.

Terri Lynn I am reading this right now along with Behind The Scenes at Downton Abbey by Emma Rowley (another official authorized book) and I have seen all 4 seasons! Though I am in the USA, you can see all 4 seasons including the current one for FREE at www.tvonline.cc/tv/Downton-Abbey.htm by setting up a free account watching all you want of all 4 seasons. There are lots of other tv shows there for free.

Lisa Vegan Thanks for that info, Terri Lynn. I got the first season or two for free as DVDs from the library and then have been watching the episodes as they air on PBS. The last season's episode 4 and toward the end of the last episode have me wondering about whether or not I want to watch the next season. I'm sure I'll start watching when it airs in january, and I'll probably get hooked all over again.

Terri Lynn I watched the 4th season already on that free site posted above. I hated for Matthew and Sibyl to die in Season 3 but understand that the actor and actress wanted to leave to do other projects. I don't know why they could not do the 7-8 episodes a year of Downton and still do other projects. Sibyl was such a favorite of mine, a real sweetheart. I liked the 4th season and am now going from the first season all the way through again on TV Online since they have all 4 seasons available so to see it all in line. I love this show!!!

Lisa Vegan (view spoiler)

Terri Lynn I thought they could too. I adored Sibyl and I liked Matthew but if you are on a show that only makes 7-8 episodes a year and you just work maybe 14-16 weeks a year or less, well, there is more than plenty of time to do other work. I wish they had just recast instead of killing them off. I was so stunned at Sibyl's awful death. She was my favorite character too. She was so sweet and then she was changing so much in her thoughts about the world and learning a lot and she took on the hardships of nursing, wow, what a darling she was. The Matthew death just seemed cruel. I mean, they go for 2 seasons with him wanting to marry Mary (and why the hell anyone would, I can't even begin to imagine) and the they get married, have a baby, and then poof! he is gone. You might like to see my Downton Abbey Pinterest Board. It is at www.pinterest.com/terriveganmom/downt...

Lisa Vegan Yes! I wanted to copy and paste and respond but it would have been everything. I'll take a quick look at your Pinterest Board. Thanks.

Terri Lynn I just finished the book. Ahhhh. It makes me feel like having just had an orgasm and lying back enjoying the memory. Seriously! This is a wonderful book. I hate returning it to the library. I have added more photos to my Pinterest board. There are a lot of Downton Abbey fans on Pinterest.

Lisa Vegan Yep, it's good. Definitely whets my appetite for more. I'm going to have to see how it goes though.