Marti's Reviews > A Modern Witch

A Modern Witch by Debora Geary

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from April 19 to 20, 2012

What a delight! I can truly say I enjoyed every moment I spent reading this lovely book. The character development, even of the more minor characters, was rich enough that I felt as if I had actually met them in person. I loved the fact that there were characters of all ages, including some magical children. Unlike many fantasies, there is no wicked power that the main character has to slay. It's more a book of self-development, love, friendship, and loyalty and ... ice cream (specifically Ben & Jerry's). Through much of the time that I spent reading this novel, I was either smiling or laughing out loud. As the book opens, the main character, Lauren, a successful single, young, attractive Chicago realtor, has decided to do some online grocery shopping. However, she jumps from her ice cream selections to a witches' online chat room. The witches try to tell Lauren that she is also a witch but Lauren thinks it's all a joke. Soon afterwards, the witches, most of whom live in Berkeley, decide that Lauren is in serious need of a trainer and task a young man, Jamie, to the job. He shows up at the sushi restaurant in Chicago where Lauren is catching a quick lunch. He winds up levitating several plates in order to convince her that he's not kidding about the whole witch thing. She somewhat reluctantly agrees to allow him to assess and then begin training her. Things go somewhat awry when Jamie first sets his eyes on Lauren's best friend, Nat. Jamie had suggested to Lauren that she include someone in whom she could trust but at Jamie's first encounter with Nat, he sees his whole future, or at least the possibility of a future of his life with Nat. His distraction causes a sort of overload in Lauren to occur and Nat, who is not magical but is very intelligent and perceptive, pretty quickly makes Jamie let her know what happened. While Lauren is the main character, the developing love affair between Jamie and Lauren figures laregely in the action as well. After not too long, these three all fly out to Berkeley in order for Lauren to get additional training. There, we meet Jamie's large and loving family. Nat finds herself falling in love with Jamie's family as rapidly as she is falling in love with him. They are a stark contrast with her wealthy, disapproving parents who certainly do not think highly of her decision to run a yoga workshop in Chicago rather than returning to Boston upon college graduation. One of the most delicious scenes occurs when Jamie meets Nat's parents and turns their disapproval on its head. I truly could not put this book down and highly recommend it. Thank you, Debora Geary for such a lovely reading experience.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Modern Witch.