Prashant's Reviews > Dagon

Apr 19, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: e-book
Read in April, 2012

This is the first time that I read Lovecraft.

This is what wiki says about this man

Howard Phillips Lovecraft (August 20, 1890 – March 15, 1937) — known as H. P. Lovecraft — was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction, especially the subgenre known as weird fiction.[1]

Lovecraft's guiding aesthetic and philosophical principle was what he termed "cosmicism" or "cosmic horror", the idea that life is incomprehensible to human minds and that the universe is fundamentally inimical to the interests of humankind. As such, his stories express a profound indifference to human beliefs and affairs. Lovecraft is best known for his Cthulhu Mythos story cycle and the Necronomicon, a fictional grimoire of magical rites and forbidden lore.

This got me interested enough to read this story. I mean an author who can combine HORROR, FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION has to be read, maybe just for the heck of it.

As the rating suggests this did not create much of an impact on me. The story of a man stuck in a strange place in the sea which supposedly has created a chasm right in the heart of the ocean and inhabits horrifying creatures is fine.

But maybe a little more details and horror would have done the trick!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dagon.

02/14/2016 marked as: read

Christopher Lovell I would encourage you to return to Lovecraft if you have not done so already - this is, in my opinion, one of his weaker tales. I still enjoyed it for its brevity personally, and its exploration of themes that would make up many of his later novels

message 2: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Blow This was his first published and the shortest. You should read more of his!

Ahmed Mahdi you have to read The Call of Cthulhu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth to know more about the cosmic horror of lovecraft