Tony duncan's Reviews > American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century

American Theocracy by Kevin Phillips

M 50x66
Dec 20, 08

bookshelves: politics, history, religion-spiritual, audio
Read in November, 2008

This is an extremely researched book. This is avery good thing because it is well researched and there are so many interesting connections that are relevant to his thesis. Unfortunately there are so many that it was hard for even me to stay completely focused on all of them.

But here is a republican. An honest one that is interested in the truth who has looked at Amrican political history through three strands - Oil, religion, and finance, and comes away with a blistering critic of the republican party, basically saying that they have thrown away almost all of their stated values to pursue each of these elements in direct opposition to American interests.

His analysis of the financial situation is almost exactly what transpired in the meltdown this fall. And he traces the history by comparing it to the histories of three other empires and showing the simialrities and differences. Spain in the 1500's, Holland in the 1600's and England in the 17-1800's. the similarities to our situation that lead to downfall are just too evident in his mind, and while I have some of ideas as well, I pretty much agree with his conclusions.

the good part is that he thinks the Repubicans are fucked and that they will eventually in a couple of generations abandon irrational religious fundamentalism and return to real values that do not make them beholden to corporate oligarchies.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Theocracy.