Karen's Reviews > Paris In Love

Paris In Love by Eloisa James

Oct 05, 14

bookshelves: europe, inspirational, journey, parenting, travel, medical
Read from May 03 to 05, 2012

I had such a fun time reading this book that I wished it went on forever…

I have no idea Eloisa James was a famous writer before I read the book. Evidently she is a wildly famous historical romance author and an English professor in a University. However, I’m glad that I didn’t know her before I read the book, since I felt like reading the journal entries of a dear friend or the advice giving by another Mother friend with children of the same age. There is no way I could have the same experience if I had known how popular she was.

After recovering from breast cancer, Eloisa took a year off from teaching and her American life, sold her house and car, and moved to Paris for a year. She moved there with her Italian husband, who is also a professor, her teen son and her 10-year old daughter. This book is a collection from her blog and Facebook posts that she had written during that journey. What made this book so fun to read was Eloisa’s wit and humor, and her ability to make every minor detail of her Parisian life interesting.

Here’s one of her passage about skinny Paris women:

“I have discovered at least one secret of thin French women. We were in a restaurant last night, with a chic family seated at the next table. The bread arrived, and a skinny adolescent girl reached for it. Without missing a beat, maman picked up the basket and stowed it on the bookshelf next to the table. I ate more of my bread in sympathy.”

A regular street scene in Paris:

“Archetypal French scene: two boys playing in the street with baguettes were pretending not that they were swords, as I first assumed, but giant penises.”

She also wrote about museums, shops, churches, schools, statues, bridges, parks, French women and men, fashion, people, sights, wonderful Parisian food as well as not-to-miss paintings and pastries. Since I’ve been to Paris before and her detailed and accurate descriptions made me miss the city terribly. Her comparisons of French and American parenting were interesting to read, and quite similar to what Pamela Druckerman wrote about in Bringing up Bebe, another book about France. Her facts about Paris were reliable and accurate; her observations of subtle differences were fun to ponder over. Reading it was like experiencing everything Parisian first hand. Overall, I think it’s a book worth reading, for both people who had been to Paris or not, although it’s kind of short due to the format.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris In Love.

05/03/2012
05/03/2012
24.0% "I haven't read something so funny for a while. I love writings about everyday life..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Colette Loved your review, Karen! I've been wanting to read this one for awhile. This might just be my next read!

Karen I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Colette!

Colette Karen wrote: "I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Colette!"

Thanks, Karen! I started it last night. I'm reading two books at the same time now. I like this one because it's an easy read for times when I only have a few minutes at a time to read.

Karen Yes! This kind of books we can just read a little and stop whenever we have time!