Zoë's Reviews > Preloved

Preloved by Shirley Marr

Sep 04, 12

bookshelves: 2012-favourites, favorites
Read in August, 2012

After enjoying Shirley Marr's other novel Fury so much I thought I had to check out Preloved. I remember when buying this book one of the staff at the bookstore was telling me how much she loved this book. I do admit I did get a bit worried I was not going to like it since I had such high expectations. But I can happily say it wasn't the case.

I loved Amy she just made me smile. She is definitely not like Eliza from Fury but I loved her just as much. I may not have a very superstitious Chinese mother but I do share Amy's love for the 80's despite neither of us even existing during any of that era. I was so elated to see so many references particulary one of my favourite Labyrinth scenes. There were some references I didn't know but it didn't deter me from enjoying this book. I felt the relationship between Amy and her Mum was very well done and realistic. I couldn't help but think about myself and my Mum.

It was also nice to have a different supernatural stories differing from what you mostly see in YA and I always love ghost stories. The Chinese superstitions and beliefs also intrigued me particularly about the birthmarks but I won''t get too much into it so you can find out for yourself.

I remember when while reading this my 14-year-old sister was absolutely in love with the cover and was wondering to read it. I am curious to see how she takes to the 80's references since she is such a present person and also a polar opposite to me. I will update when she has.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preloved.

Quotes Zoë Liked

Shirley Marr
“If you're hoping to party like it's 1999 because Prince told you the world was going to end in 2000, then I'm sorry to disappoint you. We're still here.”
Shirley Marr, Preloved
tags: amy

Shirley Marr
“There is no ending to this story because, as I've realised, stories don't have endings, only beginnings.”
Shirley Marr, Preloved