Natasha's Reviews > Winter Solstice

Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher

Apr 18, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 18 to 25, 2012

This book .... I just didn't like it.

I was suspicious of it from the beginning. My aunt loaned me her paperback version which looks suspiciously like a romance novel. The title didn't help clear up matters, either. SPOILER ALERT: it is NOT a romance novel, so you can rest easy.

Boy, this author likes to write about beverages and appliances. Props to anyone who reads this and tallies how many time the author references a "restoring cup of tea."

At just over 500 pages, this was a "luxurious" read --luxurious, as in, no minute detail was spared in descriptions, even in the most mundane of tasks like heating water in a kettle. I tired very quickly of this book, the characters, the perpetual winter. Anyway, probably wouldn't recommend it, but it seems to get reviews so, do with that what you will.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Solstice.

04/18/2012 page 250
35.82% "Almost half finished with this book. It looks, especially in paperback form, suspiciously like a romance novel. Indeed, this is not the case.

So what do I think about this book? It is slow. This author loves to write about beverages and appliances. Challenge to the next reader of this book: count the number of times she writes "a restoring cup of tea.""