Sophie's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Am I bad for putting this on my TR list after all the negative reviews and rudeness surrounding the author? Yeah. Probably. But I have the obscene desire to find out why books are rated so horribly (this same instinct drove me to read HUSH HUSH and HALO), and safe to say, I will not be spending money to get this book. So I don't feel guilty.

Edit: *SPOILERS BECAUSE THIS BOOK MADE ME ANGRY AND I DON'T CARE WHO I RUIN IT FOR*
I'm finally done. Hoooooly. I can't believe I stomached this book after the first 10 pages. If there's any indication that the characters in this book are screwed up beyond repair, it would be the fact that Abby meets Travis when BLOOD from his ILLEGAL FIGHT stains her CARDIGAN. Yes, I am yelling, because I can't get over how ridiculous that is. That's license to stay the hell away.

But no, Abby's stupid.

This book does not deserve to be titled BEAUTIFUL DISASTER. They should just take out the "beautiful" and be done with it.

Let me start with our main character, Abby Abernathy. Abby has had a very veeery troubled past because her dad used to make tons of money, but then she apparently "stole his luck" and now has the capacity to make tons of money. And of course her dad hates her. Fine, fine. I get he treated her badly, but what is this cardigan good-girl shit that she completely failed at pulling off? It was there for like...two pages. And Abby is the most melodramatic whiner I've ever had the dissatisfaction of reading about. Seriously. At one point, she says, "I've never felt so alone." While the guy who loves her is getting drunk because she broke his heart, after she drove off her best friend, and while she's avoiding everyone else.

CRY ME A DAMNED RIVER. I can't believe she has friends. I really can't believe it. She must be one good looking skank.

Which brings me to the next topic. Her skankiness. She basically dances, gets drunk like an immoral high school teenager, and then blames Travis for sleeping with women. Which he does, but she's doing the same thing, isn't she, under the pretense that she's actually being a good person and has noooo idea the effect that her actions have. And she can't leave from sleeping in Travis's bed because of a BET? Okay, if you've got a boyfriend, you can't sleep in some other guy's bed because of a bet. That is about the stupidest thing I've ever heard, and I can't believe she didn't get it into her peabrain that it was not okay. And for about half of the book, she's so shiny and speshuul because she played hard to get.

WELL. Next time some guy's blood stains my shirt, I'll huff at him and I bet we'll end up married, too!

Jesus. This book reminds me of the stuff I used to read in middle school, with the pathetically engineered attempts to get the boy and girl together and all.

Okay, I haven't ranted nearly enough about Abby, but there are a lot of things in this book that I need to cover. The second topic: Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox. I think that Travis "The Caveman" Maddox would suit him better, but maybe that's just me.

WHAT THE FLYING FLAMINGOS IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY AND WHY IS HE NOT IN JAIL? He fights for money, beats up random people, and gets pissed because his girlfriend wanted to dress up. I can't get over the fact that he does illegal fights. It's just...there is something very wrong when your main character is drooling over a guy who basically bathes himself in blood. I don't respect McGuire at all for attempting this "reformed bad boy" thing because she FAILED SO HARD AT IT. Travis doesn't change at all. He bashes some guy's head into the car window, BREAKS the window WITH THE GUY'S HEAD, and basically glares threateningly at kids when he thinks their snowballs are going to hit Abby.

What century are we living in, guys?!

Also, he admits himself that he has basically pissed on Abby and that she is now his territory. Abby knows this. Abby gets mad about it. Ten minutes later, Abby is happy again and there are peace and butterflies again. Travis does not change in this story, despite the fact that McGuire literally says somewhere that he does. No. Abby changes. Abby decides that it is okay for Travis to do his shit because he loves her.

Seriously, the redundancy? They break up, get together, break up again, get together again, make some bet, Travis gets drunk on whiskey and nearly sleeps with some ho (of course, they always have to be blonde and sneery) but Abby miraculously picks that moment to show up, they get married in Vegas.

Think I'm kidding? Hell, no! Plus, all the events just happened, and then were peacefully brushed aside as mere 1-inch hurdles to Abby and Travis's lurrve. People died, but no, who cares? At least Abby and Travis are together. Look, I just summarized the book for you. Do yourself a favor and don't read it.

Ugh, the last part made me so sick. Here's an excerpt to show you just how bad this book is:
"Say it again," he said.
"I'm yours," I breathed. Every nerve, inside and out ached for more. "I don't ever want to be apart from you again."
"Promise me," he said, groaning with another thrust.
"I love you. I'll love you forever." The words were more of a sigh...

Me: *rolls eyes and mimes stabbing self)

I don't know how I made it through this absolute trainwreck. This was probably McGuire's train of thought when she wrote this: Hmmm, I want a bad boy-good girl story. Except not really! I want the girl to actually have this mysterious past. Oh, and I want to add some poker and have a fire because killing people is the thing right now!

Write whatever you want, Ms. McGuire. Just please don't subject the general public to your stories when they obviously came fresh out of the typewriter.

That's my last complaint. The grammar. I'm pretty sure the commas were in the wrong places. There would be parts where there'd be something, like "He said she said blahblahblah," he smiled. Um, how do you SMILE words? That just doesn't make sense. The writing is clunky and awkward, and there were misspellings everywhere. Like...EVERYWHERE. So I can't even advertise the prose.

I can't believe this book has a 4.15 rating on GoodReads. It just goes to show I can't trust the reviews on here anymore. I'd give it 0 if I could, because to be honest, there is nothing redeeming about it. And that's not even counting the author's reaction to the negative reviews.

If you can't deal with negativity, maybe you shouldn't publish your things for the whole world to see. That's my opinion.

I feel slightly better now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

04/22/2012
5.0% "The writing on this is horribly elementary."
04/22/2012 page 50
11.0% "The pitifully engineered excuses for the main characters to get stuck together remind me of my middle school writing"
04/23/2012 page 100
22.0% "I can see why this is thought of as YA. The main characters have the same maturity as middle schoolers, and the writing is riddled with problems. The only difference is the aforementioned immaturity leads to drinking, violence, and sex."
04/23/2012 page 156
34.0% "I'm going to be brutally honest and say that right now, Abby is a hypocritical little skank."
04/26/2012 page 160
44.0% "I fail to see how this sort of violence is good boyfriend behavior."
04/29/2012 page 300
83.0% "What is even happening. I don't understand it. These people make no sense, but I'm almost done with the book, so yay!"
04/29/2012 page 330
91.0% ""I'd never felt so alone in my life." OH MY GOD CUT IT OUT YOU UNGRATEFUL ****"
04/29/2012 page 330
91.0% "Drunk sex. Classy."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sofia (new) - added it

Sofia Theos This book is self-published, so that explains all the errors and grammar mistakes (Not editor)
I'm definitely staying away from this one. All the reviews i've read are terrible. Though, like you, I have a weird desire to find out why books are terribly rated.