Lillie's Reviews > No One to Trust

No One to Trust by Katie Reus

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: 2012, macho-military-men, reviewed-at-novel-thoughts
Read from April 18 to 21, 2012

The book starts with Elizabeth arriving at the home of a major criminal because, once again, her brother Benny is in trouble and has called her for help. He owes Orlando (the major criminal) a bunch of money and Orlando is willing to let Elizabeth trade 6 months of her life in exchange. When she refuses, things get physical until Porter busts in to save the day.

This is the type of romance I adore. Smart heroine, loyal to her family. Strong hero, battling between what his mind says is right and what his heart tells him. I found Elizabeth’s continuing loyalty to her brother (who is without a doubt a screwup) very believable, especially when their past is revealed. Benny saved her from something horrific as a child, something that left him emotionally scarred, and she refuses to give up on him no matter how much logic says she should. This loyalty is what ended Elizabeth’s brief relationship with Porter. He wasn’t willing to stand back while she dropped everything to pull her brother out of dangerous situations.

The chemistry sparked between Elizabeth and Porter from chapter one and continued to build. I loved that build up. They didn’t just dismiss their earlier issues, they talked them out and got to know each other better and because of that, I believed in their happily ever after by the end.

This book is non-stop action. Guns, gangs, stuff blowing up, a couple on the run through Miami. Very fast paced with little downtime.

The only issue I had was how naive Elizabeth seemed during the first half of the book. She constantly argued she wasn’t in danger, even after a gang vandalized her lawn in an attempt to scare her. She believed that since it was her brother that owed the money, Orlando had no reason to come after her. This is a woman who has repeatedly dragged her brother out of crack houses and other dangers AND she is the systems manager at a security firm. With her background, that level of naïveté rang a little false.

Overall, No One to Trust was a faced-paced, steamy romantic suspense with quite a bit of emotional depth. I would recommend it to any fan of the genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One to Trust.