Rose Butler's Reviews > On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft

On Writing by Stephen King

Apr 18, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012, i-own
Read from April 18 to 20, 2012

Recently, I had decided to read a book on writing. I had a rather nice one picked out, with lots of exercises and clearly organized chapters, but for some reason I just couldn't get started with it. I kept looking up at my shelf of unread writing books, and my eye continued to fall on this book. I opened it up, read the first bit, and couldn't put it down. I'm a slow reader, and it usually takes me months just to finish one book. This one took me four days.

Even though I've been writing for years, I haven't actually done a great amount of writing, so I consider myself a beginning writer. I recently decided to start writing full time, and I couldn't have picked a better book to read at the start of my journey. King goes over everything from grammar to finding an agent, all in a casual, no nonsense voice that made me smile the entire time I was reading it.

I've never actually read any of King's other work, but this has made me an instant Stephen King fan, and I can't wait to read his fiction. I actually have a sneaking suspicion this man might be a genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Writing.

04/18/2012 page 173