Alethea A's Reviews > Storm Glass

Storm Glass by Maria V. Snyder

Aug 22, 09

Recommended for: people who need an Anti-Bella
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

Yay! I got my ARC today! (1/11/09)

I wasn't sure I was going to like Opal as a stand-alone character (and yes, Yelena fans, there are some pretty cool cameos from folks you know and love) but I think the combo of her and Zitora, as well as the other new characters introduced in this first-of-a-trilogy novel make for an exciting read. They've got spunk!

Sitia fans, you get to roam around a little more in this one. We've been to Booruby and the Citadel, but this time you get to make it all the way to the sea! Occasionally underwater. And sometimes completely underground. Oh yeah, and there's some more fun border-hopping into Ixia.

Political intrigue, check; mystery, check; new magic explained, check--romance? Well, yeah. But as fans of the full Study trilogy will note, the story does not totally revolve around ooh, who should I date? Saving the world kind of gets in the way again, and most of us like it like that.

Folks who read three of the Study books in as many days may have felt jarred by the constant repetition and reminder of things loyal fans already learned in the previous book--I don't think you'll have a problem here. There's just enough to ring a bell and then it's on with the show. However, newbies will be left scratching their heads. (Unsolicited advice: Read all the other three books first!! Or you will be mightily confused!)

I can't wait until the next one. Sigh. A whole 8.5 months to go!

[Note to self: Next time make sure to start reading book on the night before a day off. Yawn!]

(2nd read 5/3/2009)
(3rd read audio 6/28/2009)

audio review: The reader's voice seems more mature than I imagined for Opal--who is 19 at the beginning of Storm Glass, but does a fair job. If it's going to bother you (the age disparity), then just read the print and give her your own voice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Glass.

04/22/2009 page 1
0.2% "If you reserved a copy of Storm Glass at my store, or even if you didn't, you can go get it today! Go! get it now!!"
06/28/2009 page 30
6.15% "re-reading, audio this time."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mindy OMG!!! How could you be reading anything else!?! : )

Alethea A Mindy wrote: "OMG!!! How could you be reading anything else!?! : )"

I didn't! I went to a book club meeting and then came home and shut myself in until 3 am... Well worth it! And I had a job interview the next day, too!

Mindy I guess since there was a space, I hadn't clicked see whole review. : ) So I totally missed it until now. Anyway, I like your review and I hope your job interview went well.

Jane Awesome! We can both reread it in May! And yes, I think I shall also take the day off the day after I get Sea Glass in Sept... just to be sure. Need some dreaming time after reading.