Alex's Reviews > The Complete Jessica Darling Series: Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, Fourth Comings, Perfect Fifths

The Complete Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty

Apr 18, 2012

Read in March, 2012

** spoiler alert ** It was like Megan McCafferty hacked into my email and stole my journals from college. I think there must be a lot of Marcus Fluties out there since so many people can relate to this story. To me, these books were like a romantic comedy because there was love, struggle, love, and more struggle through so much of it (cue popular Indie music and frustration montages) and then I thought it ended predictably or in a "happily ever after" sort of way that doesn't sit well with me now. Because I got obsessed with the series and spent one week reading all five books, the characters are like, alive, I catch myself wondering what they are doing now that all the angst is gone? Are they happy together? Has the passion fizzled? Are they dissatisfied?

I'm not sure a relationship like the one dominating this series is a particularly healthy relationship, what with all the drama. If all you know how to do is disappoint the other person, how and when do you get past that and start living a real relationship? We all think we want drama because it makes us feel young and alive, but at the same time we want security and an equal loving relationship. I'm afraid Jessica and Marcus are going to get bored of each other. And that makes me sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Jessica Darling Series.