Aaron's Reviews > PunisherMAX, Vol. 4: Homeless

PunisherMAX, Vol. 4 by Jason Aaron

Apr 12, 2013

Read in April, 2013

The monumental, inevitable end to the greatest Punisher story of all time. Have I read every Punisher story of all time? No. But I've read a lot of them (and all of the most famous ones), and none of them have come anywhere CLOSE to touching this one. Jason Aaron made the Punisher powerful again. He's not just some guy drifting through mafia homes shooting everyone in sight (though he does do a bit of literal drifting in this volume). Now he's a borderline deranged killer who has created just as much pain as the people he seeks to put to justice.

In this final volume, we also get a new, infinitely menacing Elektra, which comes as further proof that Jason Aaron's very modern takes on classic Marvel characters are extremely original and welcome. He uses his clearly thorough knowledge of the characters to bring out the best parts of their personas while ditching the Saturday morning stuff. This Elektra induces dread. She seems completely determined and unstoppable, without having to use magic or some kind of super strength or something. She's just a cold-blooded killer who is very, very good at what she does.

The ending is poignant and actually made me keep putting the book down to reflect on it as it was happening. I would say it's touching, but that's not really it. It's emotional for sure, but it's hard to be "touching" when almost every character in your story is a murderer. Yet I did feel for them and their seemingly wasted lives spent waging wars that no one needed.

If you can, read this whole series at once. You won't be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read PunisherMAX, Vol. 4.