JoLee's Reviews > The Swan Thieves

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: 2012, audio
Read in March, 2012

Elizabeth Kostova's second novel The Swan Thieves gets the record for being the novel that took me the longest to finish. You guys, I started this book when I was living in Kansas. And I've been in Maryland for seven months now. And I had already listened to four cds before we moved.

I was hesitant to pick up Kostova's second novel because I only felt meh about The Historian. However, the premise, an artist who attacks a work of art in the National Gallery, was one that I couldn't resist. I really liked this book. I liked it much more than The Historian. My enjoyment of the book has nothing to do with how long it took me to finish it. I basically stopped listening to anything when I moved because I had to listen to my GPS. I finally finished it thanks to late night feedings.

Like The Historian, The Swan Thieves is long. It involves several narratives and a few different time periods. The relationships between the various characters are carefully crafted. The author unravels the mystery concerning Robert Oliver's at a perfect pace.

By the way, the art in this book is very Impressionist heavy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Swan Thieves.