Sarah's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Apr 18, 12

Read from April 12 to 18, 2012

This book just didn't work for me. The main character, Lena, had no spunk, and it's hard to build a book around a plain, weak, spineless, and maybe even kind of dumb, heroine. Because it was written in the first person, she had all sorts of beautiful and insightful things to say (Lauren Oliver is a great writer!), but none of that lined up with her ridiculously stupid actions. I would have picked almost any other character in the book to read about.

Then there was the dystopian world, which wasn't really explained enough to make sense, and there were too many "normal" things in it that didn't fit. It's like the author just didn't think it all the way through. I just didn't buy that everyone got an operation to remove all feeling, and they sent out helicopters and hundreds of cops to chase around a teenager who dared to kiss a boy. Over and over I found myself doubting what I read, and thinking, "um...why don't you just do this...". That gets annoying.

Also, it was way too slow and long with not enough action. ALSO (I keep thinking of more), just when I was completely annoyed with it, and desperate for it to end, the action picked up at the last second, and it had a total cliffhanger ending. Nothing is worse than a bad book with no ending so that now I feel like I have to read the bad sequel. I kind of want to know what happens, but I'm not sure it would be worth listening to this main character whine for hundreds of pages again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.